OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

HOW-TO: Installing OJS 2.2.2 with applicable patches

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

HOW-TO: Installing OJS 2.2.2 with applicable patches

Postby rmichael » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:44 am

Following up on a different thread I start recently, my approach to install an updated OJS-2.2.2 system is below. I'd appreciate any comments if this will get me into trouble (particularily as regards the PKP WAL patches).

1/ Download and extract the vanilla OJS-2.2.2 source.

2/ In bugzilla, search for all resolved, fixed bugs with patches for products OJS 2.2.3 and PKP Web Application Library 2.0:

OJS 2.2.3 - 17 bugs
http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=+&product=Open+Journal+Systems&version=2.2.3&long_desc_type=substring&long_desc=&bug_file_loc_type=allwordssubstr&bug_file_loc=&bug_status=RESOLVED&resolution=FIXED&emailassigned_to1=1&emailtype1=substring&email1=&emailassigned_to2=1&emailreporter2=1&emailcc2=1&emailtype2=substring&email2=&bugidtype=include&bug_id=&votes=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=Now&chfieldvalue=&cmdtype=doit&order=Bug+Number&field0-0-0=attachments.ispatch&type0-0-0=equals&value0-0-0=1

PKP WAL 2.0 - 10 bugs
http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=+&product=PKP+Web+Application+Library&version=2.0&long_desc_type=substring&long_desc=&bug_file_loc_type=allwordssubstr&bug_file_loc=&bug_status=RESOLVED&resolution=FIXED&emailassigned_to1=1&emailtype1=substring&email1=&emailassigned_to2=1&emailreporter2=1&emailcc2=1&emailtype2=substring&email2=&bugidtype=include&bug_id=&votes=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=Now&chfieldvalue=&cmdtype=doit&order=Reuse+same+sort+as+last+time&field0-0-0=attachments.ispatch&type0-0-0=equals&value0-0-0=1

3/ Download and apply relevant patches.

4/ Run the installer process as normal..
rmichael

Re: Installing OJS 2.2.2 with applicable patches

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:54 am

Hi Richard,

Thanks for this post -- I don't see anything here that'll get you in trouble, although to the best of my knowledge some of the PKP WAL bug reports would be inapplicable to OJS 2.2.3. FYI, 2.2.3 is basically a bugfix/stability version of OJS 2.2.2, whereas OJS 2.3 is a more radical departure, with a lot of code extracted to the PKP WAL (anything that can be shared with OCS, the Harvester, OMP, etc.). It's nice to have the relevant bugs collected here, and I'm interested to hear your progress.

I've written up my own guide on how to download and update the entire suite (OxS devel/stable and the PKP WAL) via CVS, incl. some pointers on developing patches. Right now it's pretty specific to my own environment, but it can be abstracted easily enough, and written so that you can use it via anonymous CVS. If you haven't used CVS before, you might find it a useful way to download and run OJS 2.2.3 (keeping in mind, of course, that doing so in this fashion would still equivalent to using an unreleased development version, suitable for testing but not fully supported by us). Would a guide such as this be useful?

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby rmichael » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:41 pm

Hi James,

I'm just in the process of looking, but at least one of the PKP WAL patches is applicable -- it's one I provided, fixing PostGres SQL syntax for single-quotes in strings. Alec changed that patch (in bugzilla) from being applicable to OJS to being applicable to PKP WAL. So, one really would need to download (at least some of) the PKP WAL patches. Hmm.. I think I'll have to look at each one.

As regards CVS, I'm sure your guide would be helpful for other users, I personally don't run from CVS. I'm interested in the patches which close open bugs in OJS-2.2.2 and retain stability. Meaning, I really don't want to run from CVS 2.2.3, since as you've mentioned it's still devel.

There are a few specific fixes I want: the PG one (which I have, of course), the DB syntax integer problems, and the 2.1.1 upgrade.xml fix (since I am indeed upgrading from 2.1.1, ASAP).

Cheers.
rmichael

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:09 pm

Hi Richard,

With regards to 2.2.3 -- any patches in Bugzilla, or code commits to CVS, should by their nature be only stability fixes; we aren't planning on adding new features to the 2.2.3 line. Of course, we're not necessarily 100% strict with that policy, and even though anything that goes in should be stability/bugfixes, we will still be testing these releases any time we release an official snapshot.

Would you mind if I retitle and sticky this as a How-to? We've been asked enough times how to check for patches and go about having an up-to-date system that this thread would be quite useful.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby rmichael » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:41 am

Hi James,

Sure, feel free to sticky it. However--

I actually wanted to automate this with a script to obtain a bug list, pull the patches from each bug and apply them. But it's more complicated than I'd hoped and still requires human intervention to (a) identify the patch on the bugzilla page (they're not named on consistently, and bugzilla doesn't have from/to version information for each patch, and (b) the patches don't apply cleanly to 2.2.2 source.

For example, because most of the patches, while fixing 2.2.2 issues, are diff'd against a pre-2.2.3 tree, they include files or contain code already different than stock 2.2.2. E.g. Bug 3837 - data file for the new fa_IR locale is not in 2.2.2, but is in patches against pre-2.2.3; Bug 3790 - the sectionForm.tpl template in 2.2.2 does not contain the "if $sectionId" logic removed by the patch diff'd against pre-2.2.3.

Cheers!
rmichael

Re: HOW-TO: Installing OJS 2.2.2 with applicable patches

Postby aterV » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:36 pm

With respect to obtaining and installing OSJ with all patches and bug fixes applied, I have the following questions:

I was wondering whether obtaining a git clone from the osj.git repository (see code below), would provide a user with a fully updated version (current: 2.3.6), with all the recommended patches (including the non-critical bug fixes) applied. And if so, what steps should to be taken before starting the normal installation and configuration steps? In other words, is a git clone production ready, or do you advise (e.g. for security reasons) against it?

Code: Select all
$ git clone git://github.com/pkp/ojs.git

The following two steps already come to mind: deletion of the /tests/ folder; erasing the .git* files from the root folder. Are there more things to be considered?
aterV

Re: HOW-TO: Installing OJS 2.2.2 with applicable patches

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:42 pm

Hi aterV,

We do use git checkouts of the *stable* branch to run production journals, so far without any problems. The stable branch is essentially the last released version of OJS, plus all recommended patches. You can find a comprehensive guide on checking out our applications from git here: http://pkp.sfu.ca/wiki/index.php/HOW-TO ... s_from_git. I don't see any reason why you should remove the tests dir, or any of the .git files/dirs -- especially the latter, as you may want to occasionally pull from master to retrieve recent code changes. Let us know if you have any questions!

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Return to OJS Development