OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

blank screen when accessing index.php/index/install

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

blank screen when accessing index.php/index/install

Postby Jason » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:18 am

Hello,

I am running:
Apache 2.0.54
mySQL 4.1
OJS 2.0.1
on Windows XP

After accessing
http://127.0.0.1:8080/ojs-2.0.1/index.php
I get redirected to:
http://127.0.0.1:8080/ojs-2.0.1/index.php/index/install

However at this point, I just get a blank screen? Any suggestion on what the problem might be or atleast where I should start looking. Thanks

Jason
Jason

version of PHP

Postby Jason » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:21 am

One additional note:
I also have PHP 5.0.4
Jason

Postby Jason » Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:06 pm

I don't know what happened to the replies that were posted here, but I got this working on Windows XP. Thanks to the user that told me about switching to PHP4 from PHP5 and also to Kevin for the info on making sure mySQL was accessible from the PHP module. I also had to switch to mySQL4.0 from mySQL4.1

Thanks
Jason

Postby kevin » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:58 pm

[There was an issue that required reloading the database from a previous backup, so a day or so worth of posts were lost.]

Regarding the comment about PHP 5, there are no known incompatibilities between OJS and PHP 5. If you do see any issues, please report them.
kevin

I am facng the same problem of Blank Screen

Postby sukhi » Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:24 am

I am also facing the same problem.
my environment is as below:

OS - RedHat EL AS 3
Mysql - 3.23.58
PHP 4.3.2
sukhi

Postby sukhi » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:06 pm

Anyway I got it.
php-mysql module was missing in my case.

--Sukhdev
sukhi

index.php returning blank

Postby Bruce » Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:35 pm

Suse linux
php4
mysql

The index.php sees that it needs to install, but only shows a blank page. Confirmed that all servers are running. Can you let me know the staps to install.
bgeisert@aed.org
Bruce

PHP_mysql module install

Postby ramon » Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:27 pm

Usually a apt-get with the name of the module should do it. Or you can use the graphical interface, installing the support for mysql in the Server settings.
ramon

What is the solution?

Postby agaigseth » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:37 am

I have the same problem, but I could not find the solution!!
After I got the index.php installation page, I filled up all fields, click install button, I got the blank page!

Would you please let me know the solution? Please help me!

I am using windows xp, php ver 5.1.1, apache 2.0.55 and MySQL 5.0.

Thank you so much for your help in advance..
agaigseth

Postby asmecher » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:12 pm

Hello Agaigseth,

See docs/FAQ for information on this, but in general:
  • If you're getting a blank page when you first try to access the OJS installation:
    • The problem is most likely a PATH_INFO issue. Search the forums for PATH_INFO for more information.
    • Otherwise, it's potentially a PHP out-of-memory issue; increase the limit (12M seems to work well) in your php.ini configuration file, restart Apache, and try again.
  • If you're getting a blank page once you've filled in the installation form (i.e. with database connection information etc.):
    • Your PHP installation is probably missing the module for your database. For MySQL, the module is usually called mysql.so. See your php.ini configuration file.
Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Re: blank screen when accessing index.php/index/install

Postby julian » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:13 am

[Windows] 99% of the time the issue is because the ojs/cache/t_compile folder does not exist - create this and it should sort the problem out.

Can't understand why the install package is still going out without this folder as part of the install or any kind of notification either in documentation or PHP code.

When running install the first thing the script could do is check to see if the folder exists - if it doesn't - attempt to create it - if that fails then throw an error.

Blank screens are just so not helpful.
julian

Postby JasonNugent » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:03 am

Julian,

julian wrote:[Windows] 99% of the time the issue is because the ojs/cache/t_compile folder does not exist - create this and it should sort the problem out.

Can't understand why the install package is still going out without this folder as part of the install or any kind of notification either in documentation or PHP code.

When running install the first thing the script could do is check to see if the folder exists - if it doesn't - attempt to create it - if that fails then throw an error.

Blank screens are just so not helpful.

The O*S 2.3.* tarballs do include the cache/t_compile and cache/t_cache directories:

Code: Select all
Jason-Nugents-MacBook-Pro:Desktop jasonnugent$ tar tvzf ocs-2.3.5.tar.gz | grep cache/t_
drwxr-xr-x jnugent/jnugent      0 2012-03-16 19:02 ocs-2.3.5/cache/t_cache/
drwxr-xr-x jnugent/jnugent      0 2012-03-16 19:02 ocs-2.3.5/cache/t_compile/

It is, however, up to you to correctly set the permissions on those directories. Blank screens can be caused by many different things, and the cause is almost always indicated in your server's error log.

Regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Re:

Postby rmchugh » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:28 am

asmecher wrote:[*]If you're getting a blank page once you've filled in the installation form (i.e. with database connection information etc.):
  • Your PHP installation is probably missing the module for your database. For MySQL, the module is usually called mysql.so. See your php.ini configuration file.
[/list]Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team

Just to note that I've spent several hours debugging the exact same problem! It might be a good idea to update the installation docs to explicitly mention the necessary php modules. I presume most hardened sysadmins will immediately know what to install, but it wasn't obvious for me. On a side note I'm in the process of creating a vagrant bootstrap script to handle our OJS dev work, which is why I need a full list of dependencies. Here are the dependencies I have at present, are there any others I should be aware of?
Code: Select all
yum -y install httpd
yum -y install php
yum -y install mysql-server
yum -y install php-mysql
yum -y install php-xml
rmchugh

Postby ramon » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:06 pm

Hello rmchugh,

Sorry to hear about you issues.
Unfortunately, that's a CentOs/RedHat issue.
Usually, when using Debian or Ubuntu we've had little problem with such problems, especially when installing the Apache Web Server. All dependencies are usually dealt with automatically.
Also, your server setup and policies will define the dependencies.
Depending on your database sever, you'll need the specific PHP-Database modules.
These should be known by the Server Admin, although, that's not always the case.

It would greatly assist the PKP Community if you could document your solutions and make them available for publication in the PKP website or Wiki.

Coordenação de Tecnologias de Informação
Instituto Brasileiro de Informação em Ciência e Tecnologia - IBICT
Ministério da Ciência e Tecnologia - MCT
ramon

Postby rmchugh » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:10 am

Hi Ramon,

Ok, it makes sense if it's a CentOS specific thing. They tend to be more stingy than Ubuntu with packages. I'd be happy to share my setup script with the community when I'm satisfied that it works properly. Can you point me to a suitable place on the Wiki?

Thanks,

Ronan
rmchugh

Next

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion