OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

OCS in *educational* project/how does refereeing work?

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

OCS in *educational* project/how does refereeing work?

Postby kern » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:44 am

Hi,

I'm starting a long-term project on peer review in education (students as authors AND referees in the same conference) and it is important to know what there is available regarding refereeing. The "Take a tour of OCS (on UBC PKP site)" (http://www.pkp.ubc.ca/demos/ocs/ocs_tour1.html) link is off.

Specifically, I need to know the following:

- Can OCS manage more than one refereeing round?
- Can OCS manage feedback on referee reports (feedback on feedback)?
- Is referee allocation made manually or is there any algorithm for (semi-)automatic allocation?
- Is refereeing data stored in a way that I can easily import for research purposes? (I'll track students' records as referees and authors along multiple in-class conferences)

OR, MAYBE I'll take the chance to contribute to the PKP project by creating educational tools for OCS.

Comments will be appreciated. We've been using peer review in education since 1997 with significant success in graduate school and some significant successes and failures in undergraduate school.

Thanks,
Vinny
kern

Re: OCS in *educational* project/how does refereeing work?

Postby John » Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:36 pm

- Can OCS manage more than one refereeing round?
No, however, OJS 2.X is set up for multiple rounds.

- Can OCS manage feedback on referee reports (feedback on feedback)?
No.
- Is referee allocation made manually or is there any algorithm for (semi-)automatic allocation?
Manual.

- Is refereeing data stored in a way that I can easily import for research purposes? (I'll track students' records as referees and authors along multiple in-class conferences)
Sorry. So perhaps some tools would be a good idea. OCS is due for revamping, but you migth also look at OJS 2.X as it is being used in classes with students.
John

Return to OCS Technical Support