OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Assistance with Bibliographic Citation Styles

Users wishing to hire or seeking employment may post their information here. Additionally, we also encourage the posting of volunteer opportunities to this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael

Forum rules
Employment

Are you looking for someone to help install, maintain or customize one of our software packages for you? Please feel free to post employment and volunteer opportunities related to PKP software here. We will remove any non-related posts unless they are of particular interest.

Volunteering

If you are looking to volunteer, or are looking for a volunteer for your project, please post here. We will also occasionally post volunteer requests as well.

Assistance with Bibliographic Citation Styles

Postby kstranac » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:57 am

The Public Knowledge Project is looking for volunteers with some knowledge of bibliographic citation styles.

We need someone to review the citations included in the OJS 2.2 Reading Tools, and ensure that they meet the current standards. See, for example:

http://journals.sfu.ca/coaction/index.p ... ite/1641/0

Each of these citation styles needs to be checked against the latest version (e.g., APA 5th Edition), and new citation styles or tools (e.g., Zotero) would also be welcomed.

If you are interested in assisting us with this, please contact Kevin: kstranac@sfu.ca
kstranac
Site Admin

Re: Assistance with Bibliographic Citation Styles

Postby ramon » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:52 am

Hello Kevin,

I notice there is no Vancouver citation format, which is a very common format for scientific journals.
I personally don't remember the format, which we included in OJS 1.1.10, but it has disappeared in version 2.
ramon

Postby kstranac » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:35 am

Hi Ramon,

Thanks for letting us know about the need for Vancouver style -- hopefully we'll have a volunteer step forward to add this.

Kevin
kstranac
Site Admin

Postby ramon » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:17 am

Hello Kevin,

I forwarded the link to the Editor of the Brazilian Journal of Nursing - OBJN, who is adamant about the Vancouver style.
They may contact or view the link to assist in the formatting issues.
ramon

Postby ramon » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:19 pm

Hello all,

I've received a feedback on the ABNT citation format and unfortunately, it is wrong.
This should be the format for electronic documents:
Code: Select all
RIBEIRO, P. S. G. Adoção à brasileira: uma análise sociojurídica. Dataveni@, São Paulo, ano 3, n. 18, ago. 1998. Disponível em: <http://www.datavenia.inf.br/frame.artig.html>. Acesso em: 10 set. 1998.

The locale file has a key which should be
<message key="plugins.citationFormat.abnt.location">North America</message>

instead of
<message key="plugins.citationFormat.acao.location">North America</message>

Here's the locale/en_US/locale.xml new variables:

<message key="plugins.citationFormat.abnt.location">North America</message>
<message key="plugins.citationFormats.abnt.retrieved"><![CDATA[Available at: <a href="{$url}" target="_new">{$url}</a>. Date accessed: {$retrievedDate}]]></message>

This is the new code for citation.tpl, for ABNT format:
{assign var=authors value=$article->getAuthors()}
{assign var=authorCount value=$authors|@count}
{foreach from=$authors item=author name=authors key=i}
        {assign var=firstName value=$author->getFirstName()}
        {$author->getLastName()|escape|upper}, {$firstName[0]|escape}.{if $i<$authorCount-1}, {/if}{/foreach}.
{$article->getArticleTitle()|strip_unsafe_html}.
<strong>{$journal->getJournalTitle()|escape}</strong>, {translate key="plugins.citationFormat.abnt.location"}{if $issue}, {$issue->getVolume()|escape}{/if},
{$article->getDatePublished()|date_format:'%b. %Y'|lower}. {translate key="plugins.citationFormats.abnt.retrieved" retrievedDate=$smarty.now|date_format:'%d %b. %Y' url=$articleUrl}.
Last edited by ramon on Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
ramon

Postby kstranac » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:26 pm

Thanks very much, Ramón!
kstranac
Site Admin

Postby ramon » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:40 am

Hello all,

I've made a few corrections after a comment on our forum, that the journal title should be in bold face.
So, I added the <strong> tag.

Cheers!!
ramon

Postby asmecher » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:05 pm

Hi all,

I've committed these changes -- see http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=3837 for the Bugzilla entry.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby alonso » Tue May 25, 2010 5:44 pm

hello, there is a software called Mendeley. It has facility to import
citations of journal sites, but no OJS work. could look at this please.

http://www.mendeley.com

Alonso
alonso

Postby jmacgreg » Wed May 26, 2010 1:10 pm

Hi Alonso,

The Mendeley software suggests that it has COinS integration support (http://www.mendeley.com/import/). Recent versions of OJS include a COinS option for articles, so you should be able to grab article information that way. However, I'm trying to test this, and am having problems -- I can't seem to be able to create an account on the Mendeley website, which is apparently needed for this feature.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby dcwyant » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:19 pm

I realize the original request for a citation reviewer was ages ago, but the formats are still wrong. If the PKP is working to correct the citations, I'd be happy to assist by supplying/checking different styles of citations. APA 6th edition, Chicago, Vancouver are my strengths -- but I use all styles in my editing work. However, I am limited to English and don't know any type of code, so I can't write a program for formatting the citations.
Diane
dcwyant

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:41 am

Hi Diane,

Consider our request for assistance an open one, with any offer to help being very welcome indeed. :D The main issue is that PKP really doesn't have anyone on staff who is an expert in this field, so we do rely on those experts in our community to help out if/when they can. Your generous offer is greatly appreciated (as are your current suggestions, eg. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6292&p=24131#p24131). Suggestions in the form as you have already provided are perfect -- we can handle the code modifications to make sure the citations look as they should.

If you are able to check our current citation styles, please contact me at jmacgreg@gmail.com. I can set up a testing environment with the most current OJS codebase available for you to check against, and can also manage the bug report submissions for any revisions that come up. Again, this is a very welcome offer!

Many thanks,
James
jmacgreg

Return to Consulting, Employment, and Volunteer Opportunities