OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Installing OJS Using Windows XP

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Re: Installing OJS Using Windows XP

Postby zzitronweiss » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:34 pm

Hi damnpoet,

Indeed, I didn’t realize that the attrib command in fact sets the Security tab on the properties window of the folder (wouldn’t have noticed that if you didn’t alert me to that). Now I checked the ‘maximum allowed’ in the Sharing tab as well as ‘full control’ in the Security tab wherever it was possible to do so. The Security tab has these Group or user names:

Administrator (USER\Administrator)
Administrator (USER\Administrators)
CREATOR OWNER
System
User(USER\Users)

Unfortunately, even after these changes the read-only box still stays checked and the error message when trying to install the ojs still reads ‘The directory specified for uploaded files does not exist or is not writable.’
zzitronweiss

Postby zzitronweiss » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:45 am

Hi asmecher,

I was thinking about your suggestion but I’m not sure I understand it correctly. Do you mean that I should install the ojs files into my own dedicated server and have all the activity around the journal (especially attractive being the scheduled backups etc.) take place at that server? This would avoid the need to upload it and install it remotely, using say Windows XP, to servers of providers such as godaddy.com. This sounds interesting but aside from the need to learn an OS such as Ubuntu and to have a static IP it more or less seems to mean becoming a systems administrator. However, if that’s the only option I’m willing to give it a try although my impression was that some have had success with installing ojs on a remote server using Windows XP.
zzitronweiss

Postby asmecher » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:12 am

Hi zzitronweiss,

OJS almost always runs on a server, so that it can be accessed by authors, editors, etc. wherever they happen to be. The only reason to run it on a desktop machine would be to evaluate it or if you were working with the code to add modifications. It's a standard LAMP application (which your system admin should be familiar with) so it will run on almost any server.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby zzitronweiss » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:47 am

Hi asmecher,

I realize that. The problem seems to be how to install ojs on a remote (Linux) server by using an outside Windows XP machine (by first unzipping the downloaded into the Windows XP machine ojs, then ftp-ing it to the remote Linux server and then installing it on the Linux server by using remotely the Windows XP machine). Of course, if one is in possession of a Linux server, having a static IP address, the problem would probably be straightforward, it seems. As for the case when the Linux server is accessed from a Windows XP machine, so far, I was only able, with the help of jmacgred, to reach the installation page from my Windows XP. It is still unclear to me, however, how I can create a writable directory (either on the Windows XP machine or on the Linux server) which would hold the uploaded files. This problem seems to be the turning point.
zzitronweiss

Postby asmecher » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:01 am

Hi zzitronweiss,

Sorry, I think I'm not understanding your last post properly. Is your end goal to have a copy of OJS installed on a Linux server, or on your local Windows box?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby zzitronweiss » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:15 am

Hi asmecher,

Sorry for not being clear on that. My end goal is to have the ojs installed on a GoDaddy.com server which is a Linux server, as are all professional servers, as far as I know. In my possession I have a Windows XP machine which I use to access the server at GoDaddy.com via CuteFTP. I have uploaded in this way the unzipped ojs files onto the GoDaddy.com server and am trying (unsuccessfully so far) to install the ojs remotely (using my Windows XP machine) there. Once installed on the GoDaddy.com servers, I'd like to start using the ojs remotely via my Windows XP machine.
zzitronweiss

Postby asmecher » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:27 am

Hi zzitronweiss,

In this case there's no need to work with file permissions on your local box. Each server is slightly different, so it's difficult to describe how to set up permissions on a GoDaddy account, but I see you've already been looking at the thread at http://pkp.sfu.ca/support/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3119. Your last posting there contains a database error message about the journals table not existing; were you able to get beyond that point? The suggestion higher up in that thread to turn on the "disable_path_info" option might resolve the error.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby zzitronweiss » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:42 am

Hi asmecher,

The error you mention disappeared after I followed your directions earlier. Mind you, disable_path_info = On was in your directions as well. In this way I was able to reach the installation page which I consider a substantial success. What remains now is to see what to do with this directory for the uploaded files. Can't figure out how exactly these files are to be uploaded to the C:/ drive of my Windows XP machine or, alternatively, what should be done to create this directory in the Linux server from within the installation page and avoid the 'The directory specified for uploaded files does not exist or is not writable.' error message.
zzitronweiss

Postby asmecher » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:50 am

Hi zzitronweiss,

The files_dir must be on the same machine as OJS is running. Again, each server is slightly different so it's hard to come up with a specific set of instructions, but generally speaking:
  • On most commercial servers, you will have a home directory (e.g. /home/myUserName), and your web site will reside in something like /home/myUserName/pub_html. In this case:
    • Unpack OJS into /home/myUserName/pub_html (as you've already done)
    • Create a directory for OJS to store its files in something like /home/myUserName/ojs_files. This directory should *not* be a subdirectory of /home/myUserName/pub_html, or it may be possible for someone to access your submission documents directly.
  • Your files dir (as above, something like /home/myUserName/ojs_files) must be writable by the web server. The easiest way to get this working is:
    • Make the directory world-writable. This should only be done temporarily! Do this by running:
      Code: Select all
      chmod 777 /home/myUserName/ojs_files
      There's usually a way to do this from an FTP client like CuteFTP.
    • Run the OJS installation. This will create subdirectories of the ojs_files directory with the appropriate file permissions.
    • Remove world-writable permissions from the files directory, e.g.:
      chmod 755 /home/myUserName/ojs_files
Note that you should never leave anything world-writable on your server. This is only done temporarily in the instructions above in order to get OJS installed.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby zzitronweiss » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:23 pm

Hi asmecher,

Your last post contains instructions which I’ve seen before but have been confusing me from the get go. For instance, I cannot fathom where this /home/myUserName/pub_html might be. What I see when logging on to my site via CuteFTP is a front slash in the command line of the server side and a bunch of folders followed by a bunch of files. None of these reads, for instance, ‘home’. However, one of the folders seen is ojs (which I have created prior to uploading the unzipped ojs files). When one gets into this folder one sees all the files uploaded from the Windows XP machine after unzipping the downloaded file from the PKP site. Once in the /ojs folder one can create manually a folder shortly named ‘files’ (the ‘ojs_files’ you mention). I don’t know how to execute the code ‘chmod 777 /home/myUserName/ojs_files’ you mention. Instead, I can right-click on the ‘files’ then go to CHMOD and change the file attributes to 777. Now, the problem is, what am I to place in the File Settings (Directory for uploads) in the installation page? I have tried, for instance, /home/ojs/files or /ojs/files or some other combinations, to no avail.
zzitronweiss

Postby asmecher » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:37 pm

Hi zzitronweiss,

It sounds as though GoDaddy might be logging you into a chroot environment, which means that your home directory actually appears to be the root directory. To check, try uploading a test.html file into the root directory (/) and see if you can access it from your web browser.

If this is the case, you'll have to create a files directory (e.g. ojs_files) there and protect it using a .htaccess file.

Are you using a Windows or Linux GoDaddy account?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby zzitronweiss » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:35 pm

Hi asmecher,

I uploaded a test.html file into the root directory (/) and I could access it from my web browser. Therefore, I have to follow your instructions to create a files directory (ojs_files) and protect it using .htaccess file. Now this I don’t know how to do. Is this .htaccess part of the ojs package or I have to create it or download it from somewhere? Also, how exactly should I protect the ojs_files using .htaccess? Sorry if these questions are too elementary.

Forgot to mention, I guess it's a Windows GoDaddy account because I've never used Linux. Not sure, actually. Is there a way to check that out?
zzitronweiss

Postby asmecher » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:16 am

Hi zzitronweiss,

You can check the server platform my placing a file, e.g. called "test.php", in your root directory. It should have the following contents:
<?php phpinfo(); ?>
Fetch this from your browser and you should be able to find the platform info. (Delete it afterwards.)

I'm not sure if GoDaddy supports .htaccess files -- it should, but again, every server is different. You can use a .htaccess file to add a password to the files path, thus preventing users from fetching your submission files directly. See http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/howto/htaccess.html for information on .htaccess files.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby zzitronweiss » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:21 pm

Hi asmecher,

Thank you very much for your invaluable help. Your instructions allowed me to successfully install the ojs onto the server and now I'll be trying to learn how to make the best use for it. I'd like to thank damnpoet as well for explaining some subtleties of Window XP. Also I should thank jmacgreg for his useful suggestions. Of course, there are still plenty of questions remaining (for instance, still can't figure out how to use .htaccess' protection) but now that I have the ojs installed finding answers seems somewhat more straightforward. Again, thanks a lot and all the best.
zzitronweiss

Postby tkomives » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:31 am

I have a problem trying to install OJS on my website at GoDaddy: www.ecocycles.eu/ojs. Depending on the settings of the MySQL I get different error messages, such as "A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond" or ""A database error has occurred: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.". Could you check please what the problem is?
tkomives

PreviousNext

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion