OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Installing OJS Using Windows XP

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Installing OJS Using Windows XP

Postby zzitronweiss » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:00 am

Could you please explain the step by step installation process when using Windows XP. Thanks in advance.
zzitronweiss

Re: Installing OJS Using Windows XP

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:04 am

Hi zzitronweiss,

There's a thread about installing on Vista here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3269. While it doesn't tackle XP specifically, you may find some good points. We don't do extensive testing on XP or Vista, but users have reported success in running our software on these platforms. I would suggest going over the tutorials and help documents discussed in that thread as closely as possible.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby zzitronweiss » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:13 am

Hi James,

Thanks for the reply. It seems it's not so much about XP or Vista but what happens on the server side and how GoDaddy handles MySQL 5. An especially important document, somewhat buried in the site, is the following: http://pkp.sfu.ca/ojs/README. I followed as closely as possible the instructions there as well as the instructions regarding GoDaddy's MySQL 5 in viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3119&p=12448#p12448 to no avail so far. Obviously, I'm doing something wrong.

I'd like to review, if you don't mind, the steps. Would be great if you can let me know what I might be doing wrong.

1. I downloaded and unzipped the ojs package. Then I uploaded it to my site hosted by GoDaddy. I realize an error might have occurred by not uploading every single file needed. I did my best to double check and so far everything looks good in that respect.

2. As required, I used CHMOD to make the file 'config.inc.php' as well as folders 'public' and 'cache' (with the folders it contains) writable.

3. Then, I modified the part of file 'config.inc.php' containing the database settings

driver = mysql
host = [link to GoDaddy MySQL 5]
username = zzitronweiss [name of my GoDaddy MySQL 5 library]
password = [GoDaddy's MySQL 5 password]
name = zzitronweiss [name of GoDaddy MySQL 5 library]

also, I set 'disable_path_info' to On and replaced the corrected 'config.inc.php' in the ojs folder residing on GoDaddy server (my site).

4. I thought I was ready now to start the installation so I directed the browser to

http://[my site]/ojs/tools/install.php

and got the following instead:

(mysql): SELECT * FROM journals WHERE path = 'ojs' 1146: Table 'zzitronweiss.journals' doesn't exist

ADOConnection._Execute(SELECT * FROM journals WHERE path = 'ojs') % line 845, file: adodb.inc.php
ADOConnection.Execute(SELECT * FROM journals WHERE path = ?, Array[1]) % line 67, file: DAO.inc.php
DAO.retrieve(SELECT * FROM journals WHERE path = ?, ojs) % line 50, file: JournalDAO.inc.php
JournalDAO.getJournalByPath(ojs) % line 422, file: Request.inc.php
Request.getJournal() % line 166, file: XMLGalleyPlugin.inc.php

DB Error: Table 'zzitronweiss.journals' doesn't exist

At this point I have no clue as to what might have gone wrong. If what I'm doing is correct (provided all the ojs files are properly uploaded, as I think they are), there may be something peculiar about the GoDaddy's MySQL 5. First, however, I have to be sure that the above steps are the correct ones.
zzitronweiss

Postby damnpoet » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:50 pm

just as a though... check that on your config.inc.php file the directive ¨Installed¨ is set to Off

let me know if that helps ;)
damnpoet

Postby zzitronweiss » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:19 pm

Hi damnpoet,

Yes, the directive 'installed' is set to off. Doesn't seem to help, though.
zzitronweiss

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:01 am

Hi zzitronweiss,

Try the following:

1. restore your config.inc.php to the original (copy config.TEMPLATE.inc.php to it) and make sure its permissions are set properly;
2. open the newly-restored config file and change one thing only: set disable_path_info to ON;
3. point your browser to your OJS directory -- NOT to install.php -- where you will hopefully now see the OJS install page;
4. fill out the information as necessary, including the MySQL 5 hostname info as well;
5. Try an automatic install.

Try this, and let me know where exactly you hit a snag. You may also find it easier to create a database before you install, if you have access to your MySQL server via phpMyAdmin or another tool -- sometimes, these service providers don't allow web programs to create databases themselves, and they also like to append their own suffixes to any created database, which can be somewhat unpredictable. If you do this, you will have to uncheck the "Create new database" option on the install page, and fill in the already-created database name.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby zzitronweiss » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:56 am

Hi jmacgreg,

Thanks a lot. With your help I was able to get into the installation page. Now, the problem appears to be the creation of a folder for the uploaded files. Curiously, I'm unable to make a folder in Windows XP non-read-only. I'm un-checking the read-only property of the folder but the XP keeps restoring it as a read-only. This causes the following error message:

'The directory specified for uploaded files does not exist or is not writable.'
zzitronweiss

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:51 am

Hi zzitronweiss,

This, unfortunately, is where we may not be able to provide much help: we don't have Windows boxes to troubleshoot the vagaries of installing on XP/Vista etc., and issues like these aren't solvable on the OJS side. Have you tried searching the net for users with similar problems? I believe a lot of different types of software packages (incl. web packages like Wordpress, Drupal, etc.) would need similar permissions set, and users must have encountered this issue before.

I did find this online: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326549

Hope this helps, and please let us know how it goes.
James
jmacgreg

Postby damnpoet » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:46 am

zzitronweiss wrote:Curiously, I'm unable to make a folder in Windows XP non-read-only. I'm un-checking the read-only property of the folder but the XP keeps restoring it as a read-only. '

I think i can provide a little more help on that part since i've worked a lot with windows boxes ;)
now, that is not the proper way to change permissions on a windows box, you need to change permissions from your "Security" tab on your folder's properties. There your need to add the users that IIS uses, i think it was something like IUSR or IIS_USRS or both. On there give write permissions to those users.

In case you can't find the security tab on your folders properties wich is very common on a non-domain box. You will need to do the following:
Go to: Control Panel\Administrative Tools\Local Security Policy\Security Options
and there set the "Network Access: Sharing and security model for local accounts" to "Classic - Local users authenticate as themselves"

If it's a permissions problem i'm sure that would help. ;)
damnpoet

Postby zzitronweiss » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:00 pm

Hi damnpoet,

I did all that:

Go to: Control Panel\Administrative Tools\Local Security Policy\Security Options
and there set the "Network Access: Sharing and security model for local accounts" to "Classic - Local users authenticate as themselves"

but it didn't help, unfortunately. I also tried the command

attrib -r -s c:\[name of folder]

from the above link and that wasn't helpful either.
zzitronweiss

Postby asmecher » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:19 pm

Hi zzitronweiss,

Are you using forward slashes or backslashes when specifying the path to use in the setup form?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby zzitronweiss » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:26 pm

Hi asmecher,

I'm using forward slashes, as required.
zzitronweiss

Postby asmecher » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:36 pm

Hi zzitronweiss,

Unfortunately all we can do on this end is provide suggestions, as we don't administer Windows servers -- Richard, your contributions here are appreciated -- but I would suggest trying to place the files directory in the root of one of your drives (e.g. c:/ojs_files) and following Richard's instructions above. This will help eliminate a few possible problems, e.g. quotation issues around spaces in filenames, and inherited permissions problems.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby zzitronweiss » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:44 pm

Hi asmecher,

I agree, Richard's suggestions are great and jmacgreg really helped me to get past the substantial sticky point of not being able to reach the installation page. Obviously, I'm still not doing something right but I'll try to do my best because I really like the ojs idea.
zzitronweiss

Postby damnpoet » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:40 pm

zzitronweiss wrote:Hi damnpoet,

I did all that:

but it didn't help, unfortunately. I also tried the command

attrib -r -s c:\[name of folder]

from the above link and that wasn't helpful either.

After you did that, you still wasn't unable to see the Security tab on the properties window of the folder you were trying to change permissions to?
remember that step is only to make the Security tab visble, after you do that you still need to try and change permissions to the folder...
tell us, what failed?
damnpoet

Next

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion