OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Changing Filename when upload

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Changing Filename when upload

Postby rmurphy00 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:58 pm

Hello,

Every time I upload something, it changes the filename.
They files were named to a special consecutive format made for easy organization when downloaded, however OJS changes the names to a different format. How can I prevent that? How can I make it so that when a file is submitted - it keeps it filename (yearlyreport2005-3.pdf vs. 78-D2-06.pdf (what its renamed to).

Thanks!
-Ray Murphy
rmurphy00

Re: Changing Filename when upload

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:12 am

Hi Ray,

The OJS system renames files like this for a few reasons: to provide at least one level of obfuscation for blind peer reviews; and to implement an internal tracking system that acts as a 'paper trail' as documents are uploaded and moved through the system. As of OJS 2.2.1, however, we have allowed for the renaming of galley files. You'll want to see the following post and bug report included therein: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3110.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby rmurphy00 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:10 pm

Thank you for replying.
Is there any way to disable the file-renamer?
It would make things considerable easier.

-Ray Murphy
rmurphy00

Postby jmacgreg » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:01 am

Hi Ray,

There isn't a handy or supported way to disable the file-renamer, but if you are handy with PHP you may be able to do what you want by editing classes/file/ArticleFileManager.inc.php at the very least. (You may also want to see the history of the file here: http://pkp.sfu.ca/cvs/cvsweb.cgi/ojs2/c ... er.inc.php).

I'm considering making a feature request for some additional galley functionality, but I can see it go two ways. Would a request for allowing the option to preserve the original galley filename (like say as a checkbox in the galley upload confirmation screen) be the best for you? I'm also wondering whether it would be possible to automatically generate galley filenames that reference the journal somehow -- checkboxes to use journal abbreviation + volume + number + year + etc. to = abc-20-1-2008.pdf or somesuch. Any further comments on either or both path would be most welcome.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby crandall » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:41 am

Hey! To have a checkbox allowing you to preserve the filename would be great! Or maybe preserving it by default and have a checkbox saying "rename for blind review".

Also - how can I go back and rename all of the galley files?

Thanks man!
crandall

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:24 am

To rename the galley files, make sure that "Custom identifiers will be used to identify galleys (e.g. HTML or PDF files) for published items" is checked off in Journal Setup Step 4.3 and the page saved. Every time you upload a new file you will then be provided with the option of writing a Public Galley Id on the Layout Galley Edit page; you can also return to already-uploaded galleys and edit their layout from the submission's Editing page.

you may want to take a look at the following bug report as well, which describes the behaviour of this method: http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=3714.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Return to OJS Technical Support