OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

HOW TO Install on Vista

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

HOW TO Install on Vista

Postby Valentin » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:43 pm

Hi

I am super noob when it comes to website making and what not..so pretty much apache, Php, and all those other terms mean very little to me. Can someone make a tutorial, or explain in really clear english how to install OSJ on a remote host provider like lets say GoDaddy, or something better.
I would really appreciate it. I have tried looking at tutorials, and README files and what no and i am just stuck. I could really use the help.
You can contact me on thegympress@gmail.com to personally help me out if that is easier.

Thanks in advance

Valentin
Valentin

Re: HOW TO Install on Vista

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:53 pm

Hi Valentin,

There's already a tutorial on installing OJS on Godaddy, available here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3119.

We also have video tutorials on installing OJS, available here: http://pkp.sfu.ca/tutorials

And finally, a quick reference on installing OJS and OCS has just been released. You can find that here: http://pkp.sfu.ca/files/docs/quickrefer ... erence.pdf

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby Valentin » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:05 pm

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I have a looked over all these documents and it is still not helping. Here are a few questions.
one does PKP work for vista. I heard there is some error with Vista and website, that requires a patch? Does this ring any bells?
Once i unpack/extract the OSJ 2.2 zip into the (DeskDisk, public_html folder, and i have deleted the defult index.html page). I am stuck.
In vista how do you grant writable permission to the indicated files? Actual can anyone list for WINDOWS/VISTA and NOT Linux/UBUNTU a step by step guide of how to proceed from where i am at. I have read 3 different installation documents, which are all based on UBUNTU installation, not windows/ubuntu, and i have 0 experience with websites.
Pretty pretty please.
I am also planning on hosting OJS on http://www.x10hosting.com/hosting (if anyone reallllllly would like to help me can they do a video tutorial on how to host OJS on x10hosting. Its free.

All the reference for intallation seem to assume some prior knowledge on website hosting/installing.

PLEASE HELP

THANKS

Valentin

(my email is valentin.uzunov@gmail.com if you want to personally contact me with help thanks)
Valentin

Postby Valentin » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:19 am

Hi

Well there has been some success. I have managed to upload the files to my server and get the installation page up and running. However a new problem arises.
When i enter my database settings as:
Host: ***********.x10hosting.com (** for security sakes)
User Name: ***** (as used for my x10hosting.com come account)
Password:***** (" " " " " ")
Database name: ojs
and i tick the create new database
I get an error
" Errors occurred during installation:

* A database error has occurred: Host '74.86.133.24' is blocked because of many connection errors; unblock with 'mysqladmin flush-hosts'

What does this mean and how do i fix it?

Alternatively is is leave localhost as my Host i get another error
" Errors occurred during installation:

* The directory specified for uploaded files does not exist or is not writable."

I have used the forward slash '/" since i am on Vista, and i have also made sure that that file is writable (well i think i have, how do i know for sure on vista?, i just created a new folder in my directory and that was that)

Sorry for the lame questions, and i appreciate all the help

Valentin
Valentin

Postby asmecher » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:39 am

Hi Valentin,

Use "localhost" for the database host; if you're getting the message about the directory not being writable, it means the installer made it through the database check. You'll need to look into file permissions a bit more, though -- what directory are you using, and what did you enter into the file path setting for OJS?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby Valentin » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:25 am

Thanks asmecher. I looked up the phpmyadmin, and the localhost was correct, and i also think i figured out which username to use *****@localhost i think is the one. I used this as my file directory
C:/Users/Valentin/Documents/TheGymPress/OJS_upload_files
However that didn't work as i said before, any ideas why? do i need to manually add that somewhere to the config.php file or something?
Can someone make a video tutorial using Vista or XP showing how they upload a Journal on x10hosting.com.. its free, and i am sure it will help many others

I also figured out how to fix the flush-host problem (it turns out i had to contact my server host, and get them to flush it. Apparently the newest version of cPanel does not support the shell commands) Anyways i am getting a new error now after the server host
"DB Error: Access denied for user 'levski_admin'@'74.86.133.24' (using password: YES)" (I have contacted the host server to try and flush that problem away as well haha..how annoying is that).

Thanks

Valentin
Valentin

Postby asmecher » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:12 am

Hi Valentin,

First, to double-check that there are no typos in that directory, run the following from the command line:
Code: Select all
dir C:\Users\Valentin\Documents\TheGymPress\OJS_upload_files
If you don't get a "File Not Found" type of error, the problem is indeed file permissions.

We don't have a copy of Vista to test with, so you'll need to do bit of outside research on the proper permissions to use -- but OTOH something like http://www.phpbuilder.com/board/showthread.php?t=10350557 would be a good place to start.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion