OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Creating a Block

OCS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page. While these are OJS-specific, the OCS codebase is similar enough to OJS they should be of help. There is also an [url=http://pkp.sfu.ca/ocs_documentation[/url]OCS Documentation[/url] page with some more general documentation that might also be of interest.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OCS Technical Support subforum.

Re: Creating a Block

Postby spatialguru » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:55 am

Here's a screenshot as an example of how this looks. Note that the first three sponsors have a logo, but one does not (due to being a lower level sponsor). The code mentioned in this thread will insert the URL instead of the logo if there is no logo defined.

sponsorsblock.jpg
Sponsors Block Plugin example
sponsorsblock.jpg (55.75 KiB) Viewed 2139 times
spatialguru

Postby spatialguru » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:05 am

Attaching a zipped up version of the plugin - in case anyone wants to test it. Can you give guidance on header changes and attribution that I should use for sharing this?
sponsors_block.tar.gz
Sponsors Block Plugin Code
(2.4 KiB) Downloaded 158 times

Tyler
spatialguru

Postby spatialguru » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:13 pm

Maybe this is too much of a play-by-play update for the forum, but I need to keep my notes somewhere anyway.

The above upload crashes the site when you move outside of a scheduled conference part of the site. So I added in some basic checks to make sure the block only renders when the page is for a scheduled conference and when there are sponsors recorded.

Full plugin updated here:
sponsors_block.tar.gz
Sponsors Block Plugin - with checks
(2.28 KiB) Downloaded 157 times

Parts updated below....

SponsorBlockPlugin.inc.php:
Code: Select all
        function getContents(&$templateMgr) {
                $schedConf = Request::getSchedConf();
                if ($schedConf){
                        $sponsors = $schedConf->getSetting('sponsors');
                        if ($sponsors){
                                $templateMgr->assign_by_ref('sponsors', $sponsors);
                                return parent::getContents($templateMgr);
                        }
                }
         }
spatialguru

Postby mcrider » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:56 pm

Hi Tyler,

I've taken a look at your plugin.. Good work! I think it is a great addition for OCS. A couple of surface comments: You'll probably want to change the keys in the locale.xml files from plugins.block.developedBy.xxx to plugins.block.sponsors.xxx so that the title and descriptions shows up in OCS (and of course change the values themselves). And, if you can't translate the locale files, I think the best thing to do is delete the folders containing the languages you can't translate (it will show up as the locale key in other languages, and hopefully someone else will translate them).

Also, you probably want to put a <br /> after {translate key="about.sponsors"} in the template file, and/or before every sponsor name. With just a sponsor link in there (i.e., no image), it will put the block header and all the links on the same line and will probably confuse most users.

Cheers,
Matt
mcrider

Postby spatialguru » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:01 pm

Thanks for the feedback - those changes made total sense.

Another thing I was wondering about were dependencies. In this case, unless you apply my sponsors settings patch, you can't specify logos at all in the site settings. Should this requirement be noted somewhere, e.g. in the plugin description? Or should I ultimately try to make my other patch into a plugin as well?
spatialguru

Postby tshore » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:46 am

I display my sponsors - with logos - on the front page:

http://www.devpsych.ca/2010/

I just enter a filename for the logo in the Mailing Address box for each sponsor and then hardcode the path for the images into the template. Not my best work, but it keeps it simple. The reason I'm replying here, is that on the previous page, Matt says:
Everywhere else in OCS any request for the sponsors setting uses getSetting(), i.e. not localized. Could you try the same code again with getSetting('sponsors') instead of getLocalizedSetting('sponsors')...

I was wanting to be able to have different sponsor logos/urls for each language on this site, but when I tried to use getLocalizedSetting('sponsors'), it didn't work. Is this a bug?
tshore

Previous

Return to OCS Development