OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Page Layou structure

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Page Layou structure

Postby ramon » Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:51 am

Fellows,

As I discussed privately with John and Kevin, I wondered why the 3-column layout. As they explained, the 3rd column is to hold the RST tool.

However, the header area (with journal title, menu items, and journal nav) as well as the footer do not need those 3 columns, so I changed our header and footer files to accomodate for what I believe is a nicer layout, the header and footer framing the page.
To accomplish this, I removed a <td></td> at the end of each specific row, in each file, and added a colspan="2" to the previous <td> which holds the header, nav, menu items and footer.

Another suggestion I would like to give is for the journal, especially in the administration area, to use 90% of the width of the page, or change the HTML code. The forms in the Edition and Submission tables, especially in portuguese and when many article images are included, break lines terribly.

so long,
ramon

Postby kevin » Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:55 am

We are currently working on a rewrite of OJS. We expect it should be much cleaner.

We do not have any plans to try to retrofit the existing OJS code though. Nevertheless I'm not sure why that third column would cause a problem... it should be zero-width on any pages where it's not used.
kevin

3rd column

Postby ramon » Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:41 am

the 3rd column comment was only an explanation, not that it causes any problems. But when the RST tool comes up, it sticks to the side of the page, as if it were something off of the system.

My main concern though is with the adminstration tables:
The title tables do not align with the content tables, when article titles are too long, supplementary files are uploaded, lots of images for 1 single article, the tables shift to one side, are much larger than others. It just looks weird.

We await anxiously the rewrite... (how would we upgrade??)
ramon

Re: 3rd column

Postby kevin » Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:35 pm

ramon wrote:We await anxiously the rewrite... (how would we upgrade??)

I'm not completely sure what the upgrade process from OJS 1.x will be yet. Due to the differences in the new version a straight upgrade will not be possible. My plan is to build some sort of migration script to import OJS 1.x data into a 2.x system, but this will likely not be developed until after OJS 2.x has been released.
kevin

Postby mj » Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:38 am

Just to throw a comment in on this, I'm not sure what the intended layout system for OJS2 is, but if possible I would recommend/request that you aim for XHTML 1.0 compliance (even transitional). The reason for this is that if OJS2 pages validate as XHTML (and hence, XML), then OJS can potentially be included in a Cocoon pipeline using the PHP generator.

XHTML isn't a lot of work (mostly just making sure all tags are properly terminated and lower-case) - and I'd be happy to contribute the effort as part of an XML compliance effort.

M
mj
Site Admin

Postby kevin » Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:43 pm

We are using XHTML 1.0 Transitional for OJS2 at the moment. We don't have plans to move to XML with XSL or anything like that for this version.
kevin

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:48 pm

I don't think there's any reason to go to XML/XSLT for something like OJS. Truthfully, XHTML Transitional 1.0 is most of the way there already. :)

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion