OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

running php as cgi

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

running php as cgi

Postby Klaas » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:56 am

I'm running php as cgi and have the option running it as php5 or just staying with 4.3.10 . If I try to open my ojs however i get the problem that it tries to redirect to

http://www.myurl.com/cgi-system/index.php/myjournalname

this however does not work as normally ojs is set up in

http://www.myurl.com/ojs/

i saw that there was a fix for earlier installations (viewtopic.php?t=103) ; can someone point out to me how to fix this in 2.0 ?

thanks,

Klaas

ps. site specific info available per pm.
Klaas

Postby kevin » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:05 pm

OJS 2.0 has not been tested with PHP-CGI and will not probably not work without modification.

It is on PKP's todo list to look into this ourselves at some point, but we don't consider it a high priority given how rare PHP-CGI deployments are (though I understand it's more common on Windows).
kevin

Postby Klaas » Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:30 am

my provider (dreamhost.com) gives these arguments pro cgi:

* It is more secure. The PHP runs as your user rather than dhapache. That means you can put your database passwords in a file readable only by you and your php scripts can still access it!
* It is more flexible. Because of security concerns when running PHP as an Apache module (which means it runs as our dhapache user), we have disabled a number of commands with the non-CGI PHP. This will cause installation problems with certain popular PHP scripts (such as Gallery) if you choose to run PHP not as a CGI!
* It's just as fast as running PHP as an Apache module, and we include more default libraries.

furthermore i hoped it would solve the upload problem I had where i got some errors like these:

Warning: mkdir(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/home) is
not within the allowed path(s):
(/dh/web/phpmyadmin:/tmp:/dh/solidclient:/usr/local/lib/php:/home/jomemit:/home/ .garfunkle/jomemit)
in
/home/.garfunkle/jomemit/jom-emit.org/ojs/classes/file/FileManager.inc.php
on line 199

Warning:
move_uploaded_file(/path to my ojs installation/ojs/files/journals/1/ar ticles/1/supp/1-4-1-SP.doc):
failed to open stream: No such file or directory in
/path to my ojs installation/ojs/classes/file/FileManager.inc.php
on line 98

Warning: move_uploaded_file(): Unable to move '/tmp/php2TSoQy' to
'/path to my ojs installation/ojs/files/journals/1/articles/1/supp/1-4- 1-SP.doc'
in
/path to my ojs installation/ojs/classes/file/FileManager.inc.php
on line 98

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by
(output started at
/path to my ojs installation/ojs/classes/file/FileManager.inc.php:199)
in
/path to my ojs installation/ojs/classes/core/Request.inc.php
on line 32

anyone else an idea what can be the reason of this error? (more site info available on private message)
Klaas

Postby kevin » Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:39 am

If you could provide some additional information that would be helpful:
1. Create a file (e.g. test.php) with contents "<?phpinfo()?>"
2. Access yoursite.com/test.php
3. Access yoursite.com/test.php/foo/bar

Send output from 2 and 3 to pkp-support@sfu.ca

The open_basedir problem is a separate issue which seems to be addressed by this patch
kevin

Postby Klaas » Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:48 pm

The open_basedir problem is a separate issue which seems to be addressed by this patch

could someone explain to me in large friendly letters how to apply this patch?

tx.

Klaas
Klaas

Postby kevin » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:08 pm

From within the OJS directory:

Code: Select all
patch -p1 < path/to/FileManager.inc.php.diff

If you're using OJS 2.0.1 you could also just download and replace the entire file
kevin

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:36 am

i switched back to non-cgi and replaced the file as suggested as the patching gave me errors (patch: **** strip count l is not a number)

all works fine now.

thank you for all the help.

Postby Klaas » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:37 am

previous post was by me but not logged in apparently... sorry for that
Klaas

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion