OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Installation problems from the get-go

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Installation problems from the get-go

Postby Alan Freeman » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:23 am

Hi

I have not been able to install OJS successfully. There is no initial installation dialogue, instead the page reports database errors (described below) which suggests to me that it is not entering the installation process for some reason.

First, I received the message 'DB Error: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)'

I then modified the config.inc.php file with details of my SQL server. I then received the message 'Table xxxx.journals does not exist' (xxxx is the name of my database)

Maybe there is a specific problem with my ISP, which is 1&1. Advice would be welcome. Am planning to migrate a journal and book series to this system, and an annual conference to OCS I am at the start of the OJS learning curve, with some experience installing and running opensource software as such.

An initial checklist:

(1) the 'Readme' file requires me to give read-write permission to a number of folders that do not appear to exist, for example 'public'. Should I create these?
(2) should write permissions be set to 'user', 'group' or 'owner'? I gave write permission for all three.
(3) I do not have a package for MySQL that allows me to create additional databases, though I can upgrade if this is strictly necessary. As I understand it, a separate database is necessary for security but not for the system to function. Since at present I am testing the system I'd rather not upgrade unless there is no other way.
(4) I have other tables in my database but they all have prefixes specific to the product installed.
(5) I do recall that for some other installations there were a couple of PhP.ini settings required, but cannot at present recall what they were. I think they were to do with extending the available memory.

All assistance welcome
Regards

Alan Freeman
Alan Freeman

Re: Installation problems from the get-go

Postby Alan Freeman » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:24 am

Postscript:

I forgot to add that I have verified that 'install' is set to 'off' in the config file.

A
Alan Freeman

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:43 am

Hi Alan,

Some shared-hosting providers can be a little tricky to set up on. Are you able to create the database yourself, and then try installing manually? I would set your config.inc.php back to stock and then attempt that if possible first.

Let me know,
James
jmacgreg

Postby Alan Freeman » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:15 pm

Hi

The database is supplied as standard by the provider, so it simple exists and it's the only one I am allowed to use (unless I upgrade).

I was able to modify the configuration file so that OJC could access this database, by modifying the [database] parameters. However, OJC then complained that it didn't have the table 'journals'.

If it's possible for me to set this table up myself I can do that - I would need to know the required table layout.

However, I get the feeling that the install process should never have got that far - shouldn't I get an install page that asks me to supply all this information?

It feels as if the install process is jumping a couple of stages and acting as if the database was already set up and ready to go.

But since I have never seen a successful install, I don't know that.

What would a correct installation normally look like, ie what should a new user/installer expect to see when the installation process starts?

I have tried a couple of times beginning with a clear config file (which is what I did the first time around) but always with the same result.

A
Alan Freeman

Postby smiri » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:42 pm

Hi Alan,

Using the same Database as other applications for OJS is a very bad practice. But if you have no other choice, that probably could be done as long as the same table names don't exist.

As for the install process, this is how it should go:

1) Allow permissions for the cache and public folders as per the README file. The write permission should be for your webserver. Making it 777 to allow all users should be fine for now. Also if you download and unpack OJS from our site, it should have a public folder in it.
2) You also have to make your config.inc.php file writable by the webserver. (666 permissions should be fine)
3) For automatic install (recommended) you would have to go to your OJS URL. http://[domainname]/[path to ojs]/.
4) OJS will realize that it's not installed so it'll take you directly to the installation page. On that page, you enter the admin info and your database settings. You have to use a database user that has create table permissions.
5) You should be at the installation successful page and you're ready to go.

Now if you're not seeing one of these steps, please let me know and we can troubleshoot from there.

Regards,
smiri

Postby hsandir » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:30 pm

Hi,

I use same hosting 1and1. And I have same problem. I received the message 'DB Error: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)'

Smiri writed to step.

*---- As for the install process, this is how it should go:

----- 1) Allow permissions for the cache and public folders as per the README file. The write permission should be for your webserver. Making it 777 to allow
----- all users should be fine for now. Also if you download and unpack OJS from our site, it should have a public folder in it.
----- 2) You also have to make your config.inc.php file writable by the webserver. (666 permissions should be fine)
----- 3) For automatic install (recommended) you would have to go to your OJS URL. http://[domainname]/[path to ojs]/.

The install instructions say: "Open a web browser to <http://yourdomain.com/path/to/ojs/> and follow the on-screen installation instructions."
This seems simple, but I get the following response when I do so: "DB Error: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)" (http://www.iejee.com/ojs)
Since I've not set up any db for this install yet, but I have create one db-this database name and server address depend on hosting services-, and my hosting service doesn't use 'localhost' as an option, I'm sort of stuck. . AND I am a beginner users for php or others. Could you explain me everything step-by-step? :)

Hakan
Technical Editor
IEJEE - International Electronic Journal of Elementery Education
IEJME - International Electronic Journal of Mathematics Education
hsandir

Postby smiri » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:28 pm

Hi Hakan,

You have to make sure you have the right settings for your database in the config.inc.php file:

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
; Database Settings ;

[database]

driver = mysql
host = xxxxxxx
username = xxxxxx
password = xxxxxx
name = xxxxxx

Regards,
smiri

Postby Alan Freeman » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:10 pm

Something about this is puzzling me.
You say I should have a 'public' directory from the installation file, but I don't.
Also I don't have the following files mentioned in the README:
cache/t_cache
cache/t_config
cache/_db

(that is, the only subdirectory of /cache is /cache/t_compile)

This makes me wonder if I have the wrong download, though the README file came with the installation.

The installation file I downloaded is called OJS-2.2.tar.gz.

It doesn't have any file in it that is in the above directories. I am using winzip to unzip. I don't know if there is information in the file that says these empty directories should be created, but whatever, it's not happening.

Should I be using a different download?

A
Alan Freeman

Postby jmacgreg » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:52 pm

Hi Alan,

you should definitely have those directories: the only directory you have to make for yourself is your files directory, which is different than your public directory. However, if they aren't there you can create them yourself and ensure that they have the appropriate permissions.

Make sure that you downloaded the package from the following link:

http://pkp.sfu.ca/ojs/download/ojs-2.2.tar.gz

And make sure also that all files have been ftp'd to your server properly and completely. This step can sometimes fail, and depending on which FTP client you're using you may not receive an error.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby hsandir » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:34 am

Hi Smiri,

I modified the config.inc.php file with details of my SQL server. I then received the message 'Table xxxx.journals does not exist' (xxxx is the name of my database: http://www.iejee.com/ojs/). I use Phpmyadmin and I know how I can create table, but I don't know how many field are creates in Journal table and what name are?

Hakan
Technical Editor
IEJEE - International Electronic Journal of Elementery Education
IEJME - International Electronic Journal of Mathematics Education

smiri wrote:Hi Hakan,

You have to make sure you have the right settings for your database in the config.inc.php file:

; Database Settings ;

[database]

driver = mysql
host = xxxxxxx
username = xxxxxx
password = xxxxxx
name = xxxxxx

Regards,
hsandir

Postby smiri » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:40 pm

Hi Hakan,

I would suggest removing all OJS files and the database you created and starting over again. Looks like your first installation didn't complete and has messed up some files.

Also, I've just added detailed instructions on how to install OJS and you can have a look: http://pkp.sfu.ca/support/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2967

Regards,
smiri

Postby hsandir » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:11 am

Hi Smiri,

I use ftp program. it is not first installation for me. But I didn't see installation screen yet. I will write what I did.

I copied to ojs files on web root via ftp program, and created uploaded files folder via ftp program, and changed permissions via ftp program, and created database via mysql admin screen on the hosting pages, and changed database settings in the config.inc.php. And I hoped to see installation scren on http://www.iejeee.com/ojs. But I saw only "DB Error: Table 'databasename.journals' doesn't exist". I completed your's 9 steps via ftp program or hosting pages.

I don't understand where I made mistake. I think it could be database settings. Because 1and1 hosting services don't permission localhost. We must use external host like ******.perfora.net. And I don't know....

Best regards,
Hakan

I would suggest removing all OJS files and the database you created and starting over again. Looks like your first installation didn't complete and has messed up some files.

Also, I've just added detailed instructions on how to install OJS and you can have a look: http://pkp.sfu.ca/support/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2967

Regards,
hsandir

Postby smiri » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:33 pm

Hi Hakan,

First off, using a host other than loclhost is fine. As long as you have the correct host address in your config.inc.php file.

Now, have you changed the "installed" variable in your config.inc.php file? This should be set to Off, and you should enter your Database settings in the installation page, not in the config.inc.php file.

Regards,
smiri

Postby hsandir » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:25 am

Hi Siavash,

I didn't see installation page yet. I will sen my config.inc.php content.
Hakan
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
; General Settings ;
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

[general]

; Set this to On once the system has been installed
; (This is generally done automatically by the installer)
installed = Off

; The canonical URL to the OJS installation (excluding the trailing slash)
base_url = "http://www.iejee.com/ojs"

registry_dir = registry

; Session cookie name
session_cookie_name = OJSSID

; Number of days to save login cookie for if user selects to remember
; (set to 0 to force expiration at end of current session)
session_lifetime = 30

; Enable support for running scheduled tasks
; Set this to On if you have set up the scheduled tasks script to
; execute periodically
scheduled_tasks = Off

; Use URL parameters instead of CGI PATH_INFO. This is useful for
; broken server setups that don't support the PATH_INFO environment
; variable.
disable_path_info = Off

base_url[index] = http://www.iejee.com
base_url[myJournal] = http://www.iejee.com/ojs

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
; Database Settings ;
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

[database]

driver = mysql
host = ****.perfora.net
username = *****
password = *****
name = *****

; Enable persistent connections (recommended)
persistent = On

; Enable database debug output (very verbose!)
debug = Off

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
; Cache Settings ;
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

[cache]

cache = file

; Enable memcache support
memcache_hostname = localhost
memcache_port = 11211

web_cache = Off
web_cache_hours = 1

First off, using a host other than loclhost is fine. As long as you have the correct host address in your config.inc.php file.

Now, have you changed the "installed" variable in your config.inc.php file? This should be set to Off, and you should enter your Database settings in the installation page, not in the config.inc.php file.

Regards,
hsandir

Postby smiri » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:21 pm

Hi Hakan,

If you have access to your server error_logs, have you checked them to see what the problem is?

Also, you can add the line below to you index.php right after the <?php to see what the problem is.

<?php
ini_set('display_errors', E_ALL);

Regards,
smiri

Next

Return to OJS Technical Support