OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

"A galley locale is required" error and locale not set

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

"A galley locale is required" error and locale not set

Postby salpat » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:39 pm

I just updated to 2.2 from 2.1 using the patch. I am now unable to add an HTML galley from the "Edit a Layout Galley Page" because I am getting "A galley locale is required" error. The box for "locale" is also not filled in. I am using English. The locale field in the article_galleys table is also NULL. If anyone has a quick code patch or suggestions, I would appreciate it. Thanks for your help.

Sean
salpat

Re: "A galley locale is required" error and locale not set

Postby salpat » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:25 am

As a quick fix, I added to the <select> in templates/submission/layout :
<option value="en_US">en_US - added</option>

in

<tr valign="top">
<td class="label">{fieldLabel name="galleyLocale" required="true" key="common.language"}</td>
<td class="value">
<select name="galleyLocale" id="galleyLocale" class="selectMenu">
{html_options options=$supportedLocales selected=$galleyLocale|default:$formLocale}
</select>
</td>

Where should these values be set?
salpat

Postby jmacgreg » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:05 pm

Hi Sean,

Which file in templates/submission/layout did you edit, exactly?

And just to be sure: you mention that the box for "locale" in the Galley Edit page is set to blank. Do you mean the "Language" box? Do you have options to choose from in the drop-down box? I'm asking because the description you've given sounds a little inconsistent with what the OJS 2.2 Galley Edit interface should look like, and I just want to make sure that it's upgraded ok.

You may also want to doublecheck that languages are still installed and enabled after the upgrade. You should check from the overall Site Admin User Home, as well as from the Journal Manager User Home.

Let me know what you get.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby salpat » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:38 pm

Hi James,

Thanks for your reply. I edited the /templates/submission/layout/galleyForm.tpl. Yes, it is the Language select box which is not filled with any values. From the Site Admin, it says that the primary locale is 'English' and 'English' is check as supported locales. From the journal manager, it says 'Sorry, no additional languages are available. Contact your site administrator if you wish to use additional languages with this journal.'

The language box is empty for the galleys of HTML and PDF.. Also, I just noticed that an article I added after the update continues to show up in 'In Editing' even though I have scheduled it for publication. I don't know if that's related.

Best,Sean
salpat

Postby asmecher » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:45 pm

Hi Sean,

Just to confirm -- on the Journal Manager's Languages page, are there no languages listed beside "Supported Locales"? If so, that's the problem. Try going to the Site Admin's Languages page and saving the settings (even if they look OK), then doing the same as Journal Manager. If that doesn't change anything, report back here and I'll give you a few more things to check.

It's probably also worth checking to make sure that the file permissions on your cache directory and all of its contents are OK -- sometimes these can be reset accidentally during the upgrade. The cache directory and all of its contents (including subdirectories and their contents) should be writable by the user account that your PHP scripts run as (typically www-data or nobody).

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby salpat » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:31 pm

Hi Alec,

Our sys admin reports that the permissions on the cache are all correct. The Journal Manager's Language page does not list any languages. I also tried enabling more than one locale from the Site Admin's Language page, and the journal manager's page did not offer any choices or list of languages.

Regarding the article that would not move out of editing, I manually updated its 'status' to 3 from 1 in the 'articles' table. I'm not sure what happened with that or if that will repeat.

So what would you suggest?

Best,Sean
salpat

Postby asmecher » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:25 pm

Hi Sean,

The missing languages on the Journal Manager's page definitely sound like a problem, but aside from checking file permissions it's hard to know what's causing it. Would you be willing to give me temporary server access to investigate further? Please PM me.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby marlonvanderlinde » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:21 pm

Have there been any other progress or news on this?
We seem to have the same issue on one of our sites.

Regards
marlonvanderlinde

Postby clarkne » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:20 am

We also are having this exact same problem, and the end result is that the files are not visible at all when we publish the volume. Has this issue been resolved somewhere? There doesn't appear to be any answer on this board.
clarkne

Postby clarkne » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:44 am

Ok, I fixed the problem by adding Spanish as another language option under the site administrator role. When I went to the Languages settings for the journal as the journal manager, I could then select English as the only language. It now shows up as a language option when I upload galleys, whereas before nothing would show up. Everything seems to work fine now. I'm just not sure why it won't work with only English enabled at the site administrator level. Maybe it's a built in anti-ethnocentric "bug"? :-)

Norm
clarkne

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:16 am

Hi Norm,

Just to clarify -- were you using Spanish beforehand, or just English? If you were using just English, that does seem very odd indeed.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby clarkne » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:31 am

We were just using English before. Apparently, if there is only one language set up as available in the site administrator, I can't select any language on the Journal Manager language page (I get that error message saying "sorry, no additional languages available"). If there are, I can choose English as the journal default locale and language. If I don't do this, no language shows up in the drop-down options when I upload galleys, and I get the dreaded "galley locale is required" error.

Norm
clarkne

Postby smiri » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:27 pm

Thanks for your posts Norm. I'll submit this as a bug to bugzilla and we'll try to have it fixed soon.

Regards,
smiri

Postby breckenr » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:18 pm

We're also having this problem. It seems to be related to a Linux upgrade -- it was working fine before we upgraded to Fedora Core 7. Does OJS look for its locale on the server?
breckenr

Postby asmecher » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:41 pm

Hi all,

FYI, this is bug #3321 (http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=3321). To fix the issue, you need to apply the patch before running the 2.2 upgrade process, but if you've already done so, there is an easy work-around to correct the problem. See the Bugzilla page for more information.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Next

Return to OJS Technical Support