OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Bypassing Author Copyedit

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

Bypassing Author Copyedit

Postby cbel12 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:50 pm

A portion of Alec's response to a post made by khellekson on 4 Dec 2007 is reproduced below. I'm aware of the abilities described to "skip the entire review and editing processes" as well as skipping review by simply accepting a submission. However, I'm working with a journal that wants to go through copyedit but does not (and does not want to) include the Author as part of that process. Is there any way to skip the author copyedit and instead go directly from the initial copyedit to the final copyedit?

Thanks,
Jeff

[quote="asmecher"]Hi Karen,

1. None of the steps are really required; for example, it's not necessary to run through Peer Review if you just record an Accept decision. Likewise, Copyediting and Proofreading are optional. If you want to skip the entire review and editing processes, simply submit via an account that has both Author and Editor roles and at the end of the submission process you'll be presented with a link to skip right to publication.
cbel12

Re: Bypassing Author Copyedit

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:07 pm

Hi Jeffrey,

Actually, short of logging in as the Author in question, I don't think so: any emails sent out during the copyediting process can be 'skipped', but the Author still needs to commit that one copyediting action. You could always use only the initial copyedit round and then skip the rest, but admittedly this is a bit of a kludge. And of course, if you still want to have two copyediting rounds, your problem still isn't solved.

If you'd like to submit a feature request to bugzilla, please do so.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby ramon » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:31 pm

Hello all,

This is a matter I have brought up in this previous topic.
Most if not all Brazilian journals do not use OJS's CopyEditing process BECAUSE it includes the author.
They simply skip the steps and process the file through other means.
This also happens because most copy editors HATE technology, don't want to READ on screen and other blasphemous, tree-killing and forest-dismemberment excuses.
Until a NEW generation of scientific editors arise, the Copyediting process in OJS MUST change.

First of all, it should be Optional, which means the General Manger should enable it or not.
In this configuration, he could also enable the participation of the Author or not.

Then, the copyediting should run JUST LIKE the review process, enabling multiple rounds of review, enabling the Editor to add other copyeditors, which is useful for translation purposes!!
Many journals don't have a way to manage the translation process through OJS and publishing in other languages raises the impact of a journal, because the articles are more easily cited.
ramon

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:43 pm

Hi Ramón,

Have you added this as a feature request to Bugzilla? I took a look at your previous post, and I think they are some very reasonable recommendations. I would recommend adding 'the division of the editorial stages into discrete functions' as one bug report, and the fine-tuning of the copyediting stage (making the author copyedit optional, etc.) as another. I think the copyediting fine-tuning would definitely be the simpler of the two to implement, but one of the developers would have to comment on that. I'm not sure on the likelihood of an overall editing stage overhaul, but it's always good to have experienced user feedback.

Thanks,
James
jmacgreg

Postby ramon » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:59 pm

Hello James,

I think I have added or discussed this with the team a bit before you and Siavash came to the Team.
The Editorial Process division seemed important but needed too much coding to be a priority.

Do I add this as an enhancement in Bugzilla?
I tried viewing "My Requests" but nothing came up.. is that the right place to add them?
ramon

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:07 pm

Hi Ramón,

The bug entry looks good to me. For others, it's here:

http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=3294

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Return to OJS Development