OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Forking OJS to Create a Responsive and Accessible Interface

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

Forking OJS to Create a Responsive and Accessible Interface

Postby CUDevMaxwell » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:16 pm

Hey All!

We're a Canadian university library who will be utilizing OJS for journal hosting in the near future. Because of recent changes to legislation, those OJS instances will be required to conform to the WACG 2.0 standard. (To be clear: we always wanted to conform to the standard, but legislation has meant more resources are now available.) We also have an interest in creating a responsive theme for our mobile and tablet users.

To facilitate this, I've been working on a theme plugin, https://github.com/CUDevMaxwell/OJS-Modern-Theme. However, there are parts of OJS that would be hard to edit using a theme plugin, block code especially.

Take a quick look at this:

Code: Select all
 {$rightSidebarCode|regex_replace:'/<\/div>.*?<div/s':'</div><li class="divider"></li><div'|replace:'<br />':''|replace:'<div':'<li'|replace:'div>':'li>'|replace:'ul':'ul class="nav nav-list"'|replace:'span':'li'|replace:'li class="blockTitle"':'li class="nav-header"'|replace:'blockSubtitle':'nav-header sub-header'|replace:'<form':'<li><form'|replace:'/form>':'/form></li>'

This is... messy. And error prone.

So, my question: would it be best to fork the OJS repo on github, and edit the 'core' code? Or should we continue to develop the theme as a plugin? If the changes are of a high-enough quality, would the PKP developers want to pull our changes into the main project?

Thank you everyone!
CUDevMaxwell

Re: Forking OJS to Create a Responsive and Accessible Interf

Postby asmecher » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:12 pm

Hi CUDevMaxwell,

Can I ask what specific legislation you mean? That'll be important to us too.

As you've discovered, you're looking at quite a bit of work -- and fairly brittle work, too. I'd suggest considering OJS 3.0 (the current master branch in github) as a better target for your compliance efforts. Unfortunately it's undergoing heavy development at the moment -- please let us know if you're interested in contributing, though it may a challenge to keep you from running into some deep potholes -- but perhaps a two-stage strategy would be best:

1) Get publishing with the current stable OJS release, without too much effort spent in customization
2) Work with us to figure out what the major standards issues there are, so that we can make sure they're covered in OJS 3.0
3) (potentially work with us on that implementation, if you're in a position to contribute)
4) When OJS 3.0 is released, focus your attentions there.

Does that sound reasonable? We're very interested in this sort of work -- and the OJS 3.0 UI rewrite is attempting to resolve some of the same issues.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby CUDevMaxwell » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:01 pm

AODA (http://www.mcss.gov.on.ca/en/mcss/progr ... ndex.aspx/) is the legislation we'll be working under. WCAG 2.0 compliance is a big part of that.

Ok, I'll take a look at OJS 3.0 on github. You're also using bugzilla, right? Hopefully I can submit some useful code!

Thank you for your help.
CUDevMaxwell

Postby asmecher » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:06 pm

Hi CUDevMaxwell,

Yes, we use Bugzilla -- see http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Development