OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Callback every time a submission file is uploaded

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

Re: Callback every time a submission file is uploaded

Postby Damion » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:01 pm

Ah yes, I do want to avoid nix-only solution. I did read though that pcntl_fork should not be used within web server environment? Plus a few pages of caviats about it. I will look at windows version + php folder location issue.

One issue for me with ProcessDAO was no ability to pass parameters via the call/url. And since the ProcessDAO pid of a just involked process call is hidden (no returned value), there's no way to use that as a key. So it seems one must set up a queue of tasks (database driven), then launch the ProcessDAO on it, making sure each individual process lassoos and locks a particular item in the queue. More complicated!
Damion

Postby asmecher » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:28 pm

Hi Damion,

Do you have a reference for problems using pcntl_fork in a web environment? I remember doing some research about this a few years back but unfortunately it's long gone.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby Damion » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:09 pm

In php notes, there was an albeit 8 year old comment about not using with apache - but user may have been speaking of WAMP context; But in tech notes I do see: "By default pcntl library is not enabled on web server installation. In order to use pcntl_fork() function you need to compile and enable pcntl.so module. That is pretty easy on Ubuntu." (http://in.php.net/manual/en/ref.pcntl.php#91224) . So definitely a technical barrier for various OJS installs?

Also that it is very nonstandard to get it to work with windows and apache ;( http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4879 ... pcntl-fork) also there's this comment about how it copies the entire php process; and another comment about how database connections are still shared with parent & child processes, such that if one ends a connection the other would have to reopen it. Not sure of the impact on OJS classes but it all sounded scary!
Damion

Postby Damion » Tue May 07, 2013 8:54 pm

Having a devil of a time tracing why my plugin that I moved over to a "gateways" type from a "generic" type , no longer fires the hooks. I installed it via the .tar.gz from scratch; did reinstall etc. Checked "versions" table etc. I can see in my main plugin file that HookRegistry gets hooks set up as a result of its settings form submission. But over on the article edit/view as a layout editor no plugin hooks exist. I see 5 core hooks only: Installer::postInstall, JournalSiteSettingsForm::execute, TemplateManager::display, LoadHandler, PluginRegistry::loadCategory

So one other question is - do all the hooks get re-established in the hook registry on every url request to server ojs code?

And what does the versions table lazy_load setting basically do?

And what is the sitewide setting about?

Thanks for the info...
Damion

Postby asmecher » Tue May 07, 2013 9:38 pm

Hi Damion,

Each plugin category is loaded under different circumstances. The "generic" category is most flexible as plugins will be loaded early in every request; others, like gateway plugins, are only loaded in specific circumstances. Look for calls to PluginRegistry::loadCategory; in the case of the gateway plugin category, it appears in pages/gateway/GatewayHandler.inc.php. Gateway plugins won't be loaded unless that code is invoked.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby Damion » Tue May 07, 2013 10:25 pm

Ah, that explains alot! I see what you mean by each category having different loading circumstances. I'll switch the plugin back to being primarily generic with a gateway splice.

d.
Damion

Postby Damion » Thu May 09, 2013 11:57 am

Quick question to rule out a possibility which would be nice in theory.

I'm setting it up so that user can get a markup version of their article via url like:

http://ubie/ojs/index.php/chaos/gateway/plugin/markup/[article id]/document.pdf
http://ubie/ojs/index.php/chaos/gateway/plugin/markup/[article id]/document.xml
http://ubie/ojs/index.php/chaos/gateway/plugin/markup/[article id]/document.html

and similar urls for the other graphics and css.

I was planning on uncompressing each needed file into a subfolder of the article supplementary file folder, and delivering them back to user via php. That's plan A.

But Plan B: It occurred to me that on the server we could potentially leave all of these files in a single tar ball, uncompressed, if file extraction was really fast? Since we're already handling access to these files via php file read, using a tar wouldn't be that much slower? Or is that impractical? This would be a cleaner solution.
Damion

Postby asmecher » Thu May 09, 2013 12:01 pm

Hi Damion,

Off the top of my head, tar files are slow to seek through for a particular file, since I don't think there's a central index to look through to find file offsets. We have a rich directory structure for article-related files, so there wouldn't be much benefit to keeping everything in a tarball anyway.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby Damion » Thu May 09, 2013 12:52 pm

Ok. I see from online notes that zip files have much better performance in terms of extraction, but still requires the decompression work that a tar itself doesn't have, so still slower than direct file system access. I'll stick with plan A. Thanks.
Damion

Previous

Return to OJS Development