OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Browse by Discipline (How to)

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

Browse by Discipline (How to)

Postby talknshare » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:12 pm

First let me take time to thank PKP and the admins/moderators, who keep this project alive.
I really appreciate all the hard work that went in making this movement a success.
Before we found out about OJS, we had no structure or resources. And helping us in making our journal a reality.
Thank you Sincerely.

I need help building the browse function for disciplines.
We are a multidisciplinary journal and therefore I will like to include Browse by Discipline functionality.
Something that looks similar to Browse by Author, where the listing will be indexed by the the first Letter of the Discipline.
Please let me know if a solution already exists, and if not, what changes will I have to make to get this out and working.
Thanks!
talknshare

Re: Browse by Discipline (How to)

Postby mcrider » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:29 pm

Hi talknshare,

Doing a 'browse by discipline' page similar to browse by author would probably be a lot of work.. You could model your method off of the authors() and titles() methods in pages/search/SearchHandler.inc.php, and write a method in the PublishedArticleDAO to get articles based on a discipline.

Another option is to have predefined searches for each discipline, and put links to them in a customized template or a static page (created with the static pages plugin). You can create a predefined article search by discipline by building a query like http://localhost/ojs/index.php/journal/search/advancedResults?discipline=Psychology.

Cheers,
Matt
mcrider

Return to OJS Development