OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

How to change default setting in notification features?

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

How to change default setting in notification features?

Postby raymondsutjiadi » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:12 pm

In Open Journal System there is notification feature for user. The default value for all notifications is only sent to notification feed. How to change this default behavior so beside sent to feed, the notification is also sent to email? I search the option about this in plugin manager, but i can not found the menu to change the notification behavior.

The second question is why people who subscribe only the mailing list (but not register themselves to the journal) can not receive the notification about new issue, which sent manually by editor in editor menu? Because the notification which sent automatically when new issue published , does not include the table of content like when notification sent manually.

Thank you.
raymondsutjiadi

Re: How to change default setting in notification features?

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:14 pm

Hi raymondsutjiadi,

There currently isn't a way to automatically set the notification settings to enable email notifications automatically -- the amount of notifications OJS produces could be quite high, and email can be intrusive, so we've left this to individual users.

Regarding notifications of new issues: a notification of that type should indeed be showing up/emailed to the users who have signed up to the notification mailing list. Which version of OJS are you using?

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby vitbenes » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:15 am

Hi,
I have the same issue. People who subscribe only to the mailing list (but do not register themselves to the journal) receive automated notifications that new issue has been published (unfortunatelly the content of that issue is not attached).But these people do not receive the notification about new issue, which is sent manually by editor in editor menu.

Thanks a lot

Vit
vitbenes

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:03 pm

Hi Vit,

I'm not quite sure what the problem is here -- what you describes sounds like how we've designed it. Could you explain more fully what you would like to happen?

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby vitbenes » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:18 am

Hi James,
you are right. It is not a problem, but a feature request. Anyway, I have already found a solution. So raymondsutjiadi, you need to do this:

ISSUE
The manually sent notifications are sent only to registered users (readers, authors etc.), but not to those people who are only on the mailing list.

SOLUTION
Edit \pages\editor\IssueManagementHandler.inc.php

if (Request::getUserVar('send') && !$email->hasErrors()) {
$email->addRecipient($user->getEmail(), $user->getFullName());

switch (Request::getUserVar('whichUsers')) {
case 'allIndividualSubscribers':
$recipients =& $individualSubscriptionDao->getSubscribedUsers($journal->getId());
break;
case 'allInstitutionalSubscribers':
$recipients =& $institutionalSubscriptionDao->getSubscribedUsers($journal->getId());
break;
case 'allAuthors':
$recipients =& $authorDao->getAuthorsAlphabetizedByJournal($journal->getId(), null, null, true);
break;
case 'allUsers':
$recipients =& $roleDao->getUsersByJournalId($journal->getId());
foreach ($mailList as $maillistemail) {
$email->addRecipient($maillistemail);
}

break;
case 'allReaders':
default:
$recipients =& $roleDao->getUsersByRoleId(
ROLE_ID_READER,
$journal->getId()
);
foreach ($mailList as $maillistemail) {
$email->addRecipient($maillistemail);
}

break;
}

HOW IT WORKS:
If you select "All readers" or "...all users associated..." as the recepients of the editor's notification, the email will be also sent to people who are only on the mailing list.

Please correct me if I made a mistake.
vitbenes

Postby vitbenes » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:25 am

I have one more question (feature request) James.

Is it possible to import/export the list of email addresses in the maillist? So far it is only possible to import/export the list of users. I would very much like to import/export this list. Or at least see the list of these email addresses.

Thanks a lot.

Vit
vitbenes

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:11 pm

Hi Vit,

Thanks for the clarification, and also the code! I've submitted a feature request here: http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=6999. Please feel free to CC yourself to that report for future updates. In the meantime, I think your solution should work well enough for a temporary workaround.

Regarding your question about the mailing list list: there is no way currently to get that list via OJS, although we would certainly be willing to add it as a feature request in the future if others are interested. In the meantime, if you have access to your database (via phpMyAdmin or some other way), you can retrieve a list of email addresses by looking at the notification_settings table.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby evaarkiv » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:48 am

Hi James and Vit, or whoever might just have the answer,

I can't seem to make this work, and I'm wondering why. The feature is great, so I'm thankful for the workaround, around the issue that those who are only on the mailing list can't get the manually sent notifications.

I have inserted the code into \pages\editor\IssueManagementHandler.inc.php, both the whole part from "if (Request::getUser ..." to the end, and only the edited, yellow parts (the written result in the file is different, depending on this). But still only registered users are reached by the manually sent. Does the workaround work for the 2.3.8-version, which I use? Or is there something else I have to do to make it work, besides just inserting the code?

Maybe others might have this problem, too.

Best regards,

Eva
tidskriftenarkiv.se
evaarkiv

Return to OJS Development