OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Restricting User Roles Able to Change Published Content

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

Restricting User Roles Able to Change Published Content

Postby vgabler » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:07 am

Hi,

Currently the Editor role has the ability to change published content and republish. The Journal Manager role can also access this function by logging in as an editor. Would it be possible to include an option to restrict this ability to only the Administrator role? We host a variety of OJS journals for outside parties who are knowledgeable in their own fields but not in publishing ethics. I predict that they might try to correct errors in published issues, rather than publishing errata. It would be preferable if they were required to contact me to change published content, and I could then evaluate whether the requested correction is a simple typographical error, which is an acceptable change, or another error that should be handled by an erratum.

All best,

Vanessa Gabler
vgabler

Re: Restricting User Roles Able to Change Published Content

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:29 am

Hi Vanessa,

I haven't actually heard of specific instances of this happening before (although it very well may have, of course). I like the idea, but it may be tricky to implement, and difficult to troubleshoot. Also, the idea of introducing one particular restriction into an otherwise unrestricted tool seems somehow prone to confusion.

What about possibly just adding a simple warning to the Journal Manager's User Home page, or on the page where they can log in as a given Editor, saying something to the effect that the "log in as" option should never be used to interfere with or change article content, and if content needs to be changed please contact Vanessa Gabler? If that may suffice, I can tell you where you'll need to make changes. Another option would be to include the caveat as part of a general policy to be handed out to all new (or even established) journals. Either way, the journal management team itself *should* ideally have a very good understanding of who can modify article content.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Return to OJS Development