OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

SWORD deposit plugin

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

SWORD deposit plugin

Postby marchitelli » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:16 am

Hi,
we are deeply testing the sword deposit plugin included in OJS 2.3.3. We are using it in depositing from OJS to an institutional repository using DSpace.
The plugin is very useful and it seems to me very easy to use, too.

I only have two questions:
1. There is a way to customize the plugin for sending metadata in format good to be used in DSpace?
2. When I export articles, I get a lot of records (the journal has a lot of issues) in an unordered list. Three is a way to customize the sorting, so I can find only the article more recent at the top of my list, avoiding to duplicate the deposit?

Thanks,
Andrea
marchitelli

Re: SWORD deposit plugin

Postby asmecher » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:51 pm

Hi Andrea,

1. We're using the "swordapp" library (see lib/pkp/lib/swordapp) for creation of the SWORD deposit packages, and this library is designed with DSpace in mind; is there anything in particular that isn't coming in properly?

2. Articles should be sorted by so-called "clean title", i.e. the title with punctuation removed. If this isn't the case, check the database to see if you have settings in the article_settings table with setting_name = 'cleanTitle' for the articles you're seeing listed.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby marchitelli » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:48 am

Hi Alech,
our firts matter is to get "AuthorsLastName, AuthorsFirstName" and not "AuthorsFirstName AuthorsLastName".

I saw that is possible modifying classes/sword/OJSSwordDeposit.inc.php at line 82
$this->package->addCreator($author->getFullName()); to
$this->package->addCreator($author->getFullName(true));

then I would like to pass to DSpace also the affiliation.
I modified in this way
$this->package->addCreator($author->getFullName(true)." ; ".$author->getAffiliation());
but i can't get the affiliation of the author.

Then, I'm looking for a way to pass to DSpace the Journal name, volume and issue, that I can't see in the METS file.

Regarding the article sorting, I think that for journal that publish a lot, it would be better to aggregate articles by issues, so the JM could deposit all the articles of an issue in a time. Do you think is it possibile? How?

Thanks,
Andrea
marchitelli

Postby asmecher » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:25 pm

Hi Andrea,

I've filed an entry and added a patch to improve the creator data that goes to DSpace; see http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=6056.

If you could suggest appropriate METS elements for for the missing data, I might be able to incorporate those too, if the swordapp library currently supports them.

I've also filed an entry for an issue filter at http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=6057, though I likely won't have time to implement this for a while; if you'd like to give it a shot and send us a patch, I can vet it for inclusion.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby anna_marini » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:37 am

Hi Alec,
there's a little error in your code,
/classes/sword/OJSSwordDeposit.inc.php
at line 85 argument is $creator, not $affiliation

Code: Select all
$creator = $author->getFullName(true);
$affiliation = $author->getAffiliation($this->journal->getPrimaryLocale());
if (!empty($affiliation)) $creator .= "; $affiliation";
$this->package->addCreator($creator);

METS elements that would be useful for dspace are:
- journal name <=> dc.ispartof
- volume (issue) <=> dc.ispartofseries
- keywords <=> dc.subject
- issue date AAAA-MM-DD <=> dc.date.issued

Regards,
Anna
anna_marini

Postby asmecher » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:22 am

Hi Anna,

Thanks -- the typo is corrected (and an additional patch uploaded to the Bugzilla entry).

Those additional elements aren't currently supported by the swordapp library that we use to create the deposit packages. I'd suggest contacting someone at http://swordapp.org/ to suggest the additional support for the PHP Sword library for these elements; they've been quite receptive in the past, though of course I'm not sure how well this suits their priorities. (In fact, adding support for those elements to the swordapp-php library is a relatively straightforward modification to the packager_mets_swap.php file -- they would probably love to receive a contributed patch.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby asmecher » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:33 am

Hi Anna / Andrea,

Incidentally, I've just been speaking with one of the folks working on SWORD v2 and they're interested in case studies about how SWORD is being used. It would provide guidance for the next version. Have you used SWORD in practice yet? What are your plans for deploying it?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby marchitelli » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:12 am

Hi Alech,
we would use SWORD to deposit papers from this journal http://www.annalsofgeophysics.eu/index.php/annals to the DSpace owned by the same institute, http://www.earth-prints.org/
Now, we are looking for a clean way to pass to DSpace some data from OJS (the data that Anna listed above).

We plan to deploy the upgrade of both OJS and DSpace in a few weeks: I can announce it here or directly to you, if you are interested in.
Moreover, we would like to propose the use of sword to our customers running both ojs journals and a repository.

Feel free to ask to me more details or to send my contacts to the people that are asking to you.

Andrea
marchitelli

Postby stuartlewis » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:45 am

asmecher wrote:Hi Anna,

Thanks -- the typo is corrected (and an additional patch uploaded to the Bugzilla entry).

Those additional elements aren't currently supported by the swordapp library that we use to create the deposit packages. I'd suggest contacting someone at http://swordapp.org/ to suggest the additional support for the PHP Sword library for these elements; they've been quite receptive in the past, though of course I'm not sure how well this suits their priorities. (In fact, adding support for those elements to the swordapp-php library is a relatively straightforward modification to the packager_mets_swap.php file -- they would probably love to receive a contributed patch.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi Alec,

I've just (finally - after about 2.5 years of development!!!) released version 1.0 of the SWORDAPP-PHP library: http://php.swordapp.org/ or direct from github: https://github.com/stuartlewis/swordapp-php-library/

This includes support for subjects in the packager, and a few other changes. Since the code is relatively stable now, I thought it would be safe to call it 1.0!

I hope that is useful for Anna.

(I also wanted to release a 1.0, as I now need to start working on the SWORD v2 version of the library).

Thanks,

Stuart
stuartlewis

Postby WebDev » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:18 am

Hello, sorry for opening this old thread, but I tripped on this topic on a search at google and decided to drop a few words since I believe that my current problem is related to what I saw here.

I have a few questions about sword and what I can do with it with the problem that I currently have to solve at my work.

I'm currently working at one Research Center, and I developed in php a software that allows researchers to deposit their work (papers, journals, etc.) and this software is used by the administration board to validate, manage, and do all things related to that work.

The university where I work currently has a DSPACE repository where they keep the data from all the work produced by those researchers as well other publications.

This repository is managed by a librarian and also researchers, who can deposit their work, but they need to repeat the process twice (once for the software I developed and again to DSPACE manually)

My current problem to solve is that the Research Center need an automated way to publish all validated word from their researchers directly to DSPACE, and upon validation they just want to integrate the validation option to automatic publishing it to DSPACE.

From what I understood, Swordapp allows me to do this, but I never used it in the past and I would like, if possible, some pointers or ideas where to start to accomplish something like this. Do I need a swordserver as well or this can be done directly from my software + sword to dspace?

Thank you in advance.
WebDev

Postby asmecher » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:16 am

Hi WebDev,

These forums are specific to software written by the Public Knowledge Project, e.g. OCS, OJS, OMP, and OHS; it doesn't sound like you're using any of those. I'd suggest asking someone involved in maintaining the Swordapp PHP library.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby WebDev » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:28 am

Thank you for your reply.
WebDev

Return to OJS Development