You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Automated Reminder Prior to Deadline

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
The Public Knowledge Project Support Forum is moving to http://forum.pkp.sfu.ca

This forum will be maintained permanently as an archived historical resource, but all new questions should be added to the new forum. Questions will no longer be monitored on this old forum after March 30, 2015.

Automated Reminder Prior to Deadline

Postby TonyOlivero » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:56 am

My editorial staff has asked if it is possible to generate an automated reminder before the due date of the recommendation. I see options for failure to respond to a request, and post-deadline prodding, but if someone could point me in the right direction for setting up a pre-deadline reminder it would be most helpful. I'm assuming I have to modify the setup page to ask for this option and store that value in the database; create a prepared email; and generate a new scheduled task.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. We are currently using OJS 2.3.1-1.

Tony Olivero, Technical Assistant
Journal of Blindness and Visual Impairment

Re: Automated Reminder Prior to Deadline

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:52 am

Hi Tony,

Which process are you talking about, specifically? If you're talking about the review process and nag emails to Reviewers, you're correct in that you can only specify 1) a reminder email within x days of the original; and 2) a reminder email x days after the due date has passed. To add a pre-deadline reminder would take a fair amount of coding. Are you comfortable with Smarty/PHP? The best place to start would be to look at the Technical Reference (available here) and then to start looking at the code. Template files are in templates/, but you'll likely have to hit a lot of other PHP files. Let us know if you have any specific questions!

Return to OJS Development