OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Unlocked article icon for subscribers?

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

Unlocked article icon for subscribers?

Postby tautai » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:14 pm

I sometimes get asked by subscribers to our journal why articles on the contents page still have the 'padlock' icon displayed when they are logged in. Some even think something is wrong and they are not allowed to download the PDF. Most subscribers do figure out that if they click the PDF link the article will download. But I wonder if a third icon could be implemented - an unlocked padlock perhaps - which would display for subscribers. An alternative would be to change from the padlock icon to the open access icon when a subscriber is logged in. I might have a go at implementing this myself if I get the time (I am an academic!) but just thought I would throw the idea out there if anyone else wants to give it a shot, or has some opinion etc...

Cheers,
Tim
tautai

Re: Unlocked article icon for subscribers?

Postby michael » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:36 pm

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the feedback. That sounds like a good suggestion and should be relatively easy to implement. I've filed it here.

If you'd like to give it a go that would great, please feel free to add to the bug report (e.g. questions about modifying the code, posting a patch, etc.). I would suggest something along the lines of a modified icon, rather than marking subscriptions as 'open access' -- the distinction between open and subscription access should continue to apply to articles as indicated by the editor. The additional information is for readers to know that they now have access to subscription content.

Cheers,
Michael
michael

Return to OJS Development