OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

A More Full-Fledged Membership System?

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

A More Full-Fledged Membership System?

Postby tauyeung » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:14 am

Hi all,

I've looked through the forum and couldn't find anything on this: is anyone working on a fuller membership module? Something that could be used to drive a scholarly society's needs beyond just managing the readership in OJS including the generation of reports and whatnot?

Thanks,
Tim
tauyeung

Re: A More Full-Fledged Membership System?

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:36 am

Hi TIm,

I haven't heard of anything like this being worked on; of course, if you're interested in developing a plugin for this, let us know and we can give assistance where possible.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby tauyeung » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:42 am

Thanks James -- that's sort of what I suspected. I'd be curious as to the general interest from the community -- is there an interest in something like this?
tauyeung

Postby mwood » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:40 am

Do all of those functions really belong inside of a journal publishing system? I would probably look rather at how to let OJS use a Customer Relationship Management system of some sort as a source of authentication and identity for the few bits of information it wants, and how to let the CRM look into OJS for any e.g. statistics it wants. That is, how can each concentrate on its mission and also serve as a component of the other? (Actually, authentication might best be provided to both from outside of either.)

More and more it seems to me that there shouldn't be *anything* at the center of an enterprise but the abstract notion of "what our business is", with useful systems clustered around that and communicating among themselves as required to realize that abstraction. Trying to make one software package do it all is just too hard. Instead, model your enterprise first and then see what products and procedures best snap in where, and what you'll need to build.

If that causes you to come up with any nifty new OJS authentication or export plugins or the like, please do consider sharing. :D
mwood

Return to OJS Development