OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Suggestion for newer and more compatible OJS system

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

Suggestion for newer and more compatible OJS system

Postby himanshu18in » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:33 am

Sir,
OJS is a very good system for setting up of Journal. Still It needs some revisions. I faced a lot for these revision with yahoo webhost.

1. Try to give small and simple filenames in whole package especially cache folders and files which starts with %% etc and having long file name. Yahoo do not support unzip facility on its server. When you try to unzip it on system and upload it via FTP client, many files (cache files and some other) were rejected by yahoo due to their long and special file name (starting with symbols i.e. %% etc). the file names should be in simple alpha numeric i.e. cache 123 etc etc. Then the package can be uploaded to any server using ftp client.

2. Try to make the customization system more user friendly like phpbb3 (forum system). It checks the requirement itself and email customization is ultimate. It checks on its own everything.

3. Include the preset customizable emails and terms etc which are generally common in journals. there are some in ojs but all can be added.

4. There should be system for font customization. There should be provision of manuscript to be converted to pdf or html on its own. It will be a very good option.

5. There should be a provision to index journal in famous engines like pubmed, scholar,JCR etc, as soon as issue published online

There are some requests from my side. All the best for OJS project.

Thanks and regards

Himanshu
himanshu18in

Re: Suggestion for newer and more compatible OJS system

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:48 am

HI Himanshu,

Thank you for your many helpful comments! I will respond to some of them:

1. Try to give small and simple filenames in whole package especially cache folders and files which starts with %% etc and having long file name. Yahoo do not support unzip facility on its server. When you try to unzip it on system and upload it via FTP client, many files (cache files and some other) were rejected by yahoo due to their long and special file name (starting with symbols i.e. %% etc). the file names should be in simple alpha numeric i.e. cache 123 etc etc. Then the package can be uploaded to any server using ftp client.

Those files can actually be deleted/don't have to be uploaded. Everything else does, and their filenames are appropriately short. We have discussed disincluding cache files for future releases, and may do so.

2. Try to make the customization system more user friendly like phpbb3 (forum system). It checks the requirement itself and email customization is ultimate. It checks on its own everything.

During the instlall, OJS does undertake a system check, but it unfortunately doesn't check every single facet of the system before attempting to install. Our requirements are quite low, but sometimes even they aren't satisfied by hosting providers.

4. There should be system for font customization. There should be provision of manuscript to be converted to pdf or html on its own. It will be a very good option.

This will hopefully be more of a reality in the near future. However, you may want to take a look at the XML Galleys plugin, which can create HTML and PDF gallerys from uploaded XML files (NLM, or using your own XML and supplied XSLT). Again, we will be working towards improving this feature.

5. There should be a provision to index journal in famous engines like pubmed, scholar,JCR etc, as soon as issue published online

You can use the Pubmed export functionality to help you get indexed with Pubmed; there is plenty of information on the forum about this, I believe. There is also a plugin to help with DOAJ indexing, and of course the system works very well with Google/Google Scholar. Any advice in getting indexed in Scholar, JCR, etc. would be helpful.

Thanks again for the comments! If you would like to clarify any of the above points, please feel free.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby himanshu18in » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:35 pm

Dear sir,
Thanks for the response.
Actually yahoo do not supports %% file names and reject its upload. due to this I am unable to upload full server through FTP. www.researchtimes.net/osj

Author system not working.the page is blank. please tell me how to run ojs on yahoo via ftp.

Its very urgent, they do not have unzip facility on yahoo and they do not support special file names like %%% etc (in cache directory of module).

Himanshu
himanshu18in

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:06 am

Hi Himanshu,

See viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5005&p=19587#p19608. While we're trying to get these problems resolved, please try to keep similar questions to the same thread to avoid redundancy/confusion.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Return to OJS Development