You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

New frontpage engine with articles as they are published

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
The Public Knowledge Project Support Forum is moving to http://forum.pkp.sfu.ca

This forum will be maintained permanently as an archived historical resource, but all new questions should be added to the new forum. Questions will no longer be monitored on this old forum after March 30, 2015.

New frontpage engine with articles as they are published

Postby tarek » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:40 pm

Hello all,

I don't believe I've seen discussion of this elsewhere, so I'd like to post a proposal here, and then hopefully get some feedback on implementation.

As it stands, Open Medicine has a publication model in which articles are made available as they are ready, instead of an issue at a time. Right now, this code happens manually through a modified issue.tpl in the templates directory. I would like to make it so that instead, the front page is automatically generated and involves the following:

"What's new in Open Medicine"
- The 3 or 5 most recently published articles

"Section headings" (e.g., Editorial, Research, etc)
- the 3 most recently published articles from each category, then a link to "more"

One question to ask is whether I should make this modification as a core patch against issue.tpl, or somehow implement it as a plugin. At the moment, I'm planning to explore the OJS API and see about doing this as a core patch, then pulling it out into a plugin later.

What do others think?

tarek : )

Return to OJS Development