OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

browse by issue

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

browse by issue

Postby bar338 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:11 pm

I have the navigation block enabled on my entire website but attempting to use the browse by issue feature on the journal-listings page causes a problem. For one browse by issue does not print the name of the journal and more importantly if you have the browse by issue button on the journal listings page it doesn't do anything (doesn't find the issue page). Does anyone know of any good solutions for this problem short of rewriting a secondary issue archive.tpl file to handle requests from the journal listings page.

Thanks for your help.
bar338

Re: browse by issue

Postby bar338 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:43 am

I tried creating my own script to do this but i'm having some problems b/c i'm not very good with smarty. I am attempting to do it in php but I dont think i have it right, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Code: Select all
{php}
$jissue =& DAO.retrieve('SELECT * FROM issues WHERE journal_id = 1');
$array =& $jissue->toArray();

foreach ($array as $key => $element)) {
    $year =& $array[$key]['year'];
    $volume =& $array[$key]['volume'];
    $number =& $array[$key]['number'];
    $issue_id =& array[$key]['issue_id'];

print "<a href='index.php/Heat_Mass_Transfer/issue/view/" . $issue_id . "'>Vol. $volume, No. $number ($year)</a>";
}
{/php}

Eventually it will iterate through all the journals, but i'm just testing it with one journal right now to try and get it working. Is there an easier way to do this?
bar338

Postby mcrider » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:42 pm

Hi bar338,

So, what you're trying to do is have a block plugin that displays outside of a journal's context, that lists all issues for all journals? Do you have multiple journals? Have you enabled the plugin to work outside of the journal's context, i.e. the whole site (which requires modifying the database) ? This would be a lot easier to do with smarty, but I understand the learning curve required. Provide me with some more details I can see if I can help you out.

Cheers,
Matt
mcrider

Postby bar338 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:39 pm

I found a temporary solution to the problem but it may bite me in the butt later. Yes i'm trying to get the block to display outside the journals context and lists all the issues for all the journals. I'm not sure what needs to be modified in the database. One thing that has to be taken into account is that the issues have to be listed under their journals b/c each issue names may be the same between journals. I've done a little bit with smarty but i'm not an expert with it at all. What other details do you need to know?
bar338

Return to OJS Development