OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Creative Commons

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

Creative Commons

Postby nef » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:25 am

Hi
As a Journal Manager you can choose “For journals that offer immediate or delayed open access, include a Creative Commons license with all published work at the appropriate time” (Setup->3. Submissions->3.2 Copyright Notice). May I suggest that you expand the options. By default you choose the BY copyright (See the CC homepage for further explanation http://creativecommons.org/about/licenses/). But CC exists in 6 versions (BY; BY-SA; BY-ND; BY-NC; BY-NC-SA; BY-NC-ND). It would be useful if you could choose between the different versions.
Cheers
Niels Erik
nef

Re: Creative Commons

Postby jmacgreg » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:02 pm

Hi Niels,

A very good point, and one that's already made it into our bug DB (http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=3590). I'm hoping that it'll make it into OJS 2.3; I'd recommend CCing yourself to that bug report for future updates.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby aapollaro » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:32 am

Hi!

And I would like to add that also exits different attributions by country and you must consider it in the future versions of OJS! Thank you.

Alberto
aapollaro

Postby cjhe » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:20 pm

Hello,

Does anyone know if OJS is still considering making the different versions of the CC license as an option when the journal manager selects "For journals that offer immediate or delayed open access, include a Creative Commons license with all published work at the appropriate time." I still only see CC 3.0 available when I check off that option.

Thank you.

Sharon
cjhe

Postby asmecher » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:30 pm

Hi Sharon,

You can change the Creative Commons license by editing lib/pkp/locale/en_US/common.xml and looking for "common.ccLicense". (Note that this will affect all journals in your installation.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby sttis » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:01 am

Hi Alec,

We're planning to change the default license on our multi-journal install. If we edit lib/pkp/locale/en_US/common.xml can you clarify whether this affects already published articles or just future publishing? I get the impression it is going to update all articles in the system, which is going to raise a legal issue for us. How can we manually change the license metadata for each article? (If there is documentation on this, feel free to point me there, I couldn't find any :))

Thanks,
Suzy
sttis

Postby asmecher » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:26 am

Hi Suzy,

You can't currently attach copyrights to articles -- it's journal-wide -- but we have discussed changing that. Let me check in with one of our partner developers and get back to you.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby asmecher » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:43 am

Hi Suzy,

One of our frequent contributors might be allocating some time to this in the fall, but it's contingent on project funding. In the meantime, if you're comfortable with a little bit of coding, something like the following logic...
Code: Select all
if the article is older than xxx
    use license X
otherwise
    use license Y
...wouldn't be too difficult to implement.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Return to OJS Development