OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

performance

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

performance

Postby downtheroad » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:38 pm

I have two articles on my website and the abstracts are slow to load. Is there some indexing I need to do in the database or something else to address the performance?

dr
downtheroad

Re: performance

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:45 pm

Hi dr,

Try searching the forum for performance issues -- there are a great many variables leading to slow performance, typically server-side. You don't have to worry about indexing in this case.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby asmecher » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:55 pm

Hi downtheroad,

See also the "debug" and "show_stats" options in config.inc.php to help debug performance issues.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby downtheroad » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:28 am

Thanks... Note that if you elect to change config.inc.php, make sure to use the copy from your server, as the file's contents are altered during installation.

dr
downtheroad

Postby downtheroad » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:10 am

I turned stats on. From other posts on the forum I only found one concrete change to make, which was to set web_cache on. I have only two articles uploaded.
To bring up an abstract I see Page generated in: 1.6456s among several tries, with values more typically around .9 seconds (though some also get up in the 1.5s range). Performance on our server is otherwise lightning fast.. Is this good ojs performance, or are there other things I need to do?

dr
downtheroad

Postby asmecher » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:30 am

Hi dr,

That's quite slow -- unfortunately there isn't a great set of debugging tools for PHP, but I'd suggest stepping through the code to find out where the slowdown is by adding the following snippet at various parts in the processing (which will, of course, temporarily break the request):
Code: Select all
die('Time: ' . (Core::microtime() - Registry::get('system.debug.startTime')));
If you can isolate a piece of the code that's taking an unusual amount of time to complete, that'll help.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby downtheroad » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:27 am

Hi Alec,

As I would only be guessing at the internals, I wonder if there are logical places you could point to for placement of the breaks.

dr
downtheroad

Postby asmecher » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:07 pm

Hi dr,

I'd start in the "view" function in pages/article/ArticleHandler.inc.php; it's responsible for handling this request.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Return to OJS Development