OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

OJS Data Model

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

OJS Data Model

Postby jpliske » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:26 pm

Hello,

I am wondering if OJS was based on any existing Object Models for online journals. The reason I ask this is because I want to export the database and then transform/map the Relational model to an Object based model. Eventually, I want to be able to extract individual journals to an external format (in other words build a Journal Exporter). I want to discover the tree hierarchy corresponding to the database. For example, I'm guessing that 'Articles' would have 'Journals' as their parent, and 'Published Articles' would inherit from 'Articles', etc.

Jeff
jpliske

Re: OJS Data Model

Postby asmecher » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:45 am

Hi Jeff,

The Articles & Issues export tool (see "Import/Export Data" as Journal Manager) has a mapping like you describe for everything at the Issue or Section level and below; to capture an entire journal, you'd probably only need to add the Journal level, which would wrap a journal and all of its configuration and settings. The Articles & Issues export tool is implemented in plugins/importexport/native.

Alternately, you can get a pretty comprehensive picture of the structure by looking at foreign keys; the database structure is described in dbscripts/xml/ojs_schema.xml and the Technical Reference (available on the OJS website) may also be helpful.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Development