OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Generated "manual install" SQL is incorrect for PG.

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

Generated "manual install" SQL is incorrect for PG.

Postby rmichael » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:02 pm

The SQL output contains "\'" (that's backslash-singlequote) to insert an apostrophe/singlequote in string values. In Postgres, the proper syntax is "''" (double singlequote).

If you give me a rough pointer to how/where this is done (ADODB?), I'll fix it and send a patch.

In the meantime, although it's just a warning, to workaround, save the SQL to a file (i.e. cut-and-paste from the post-install manual SQL textfield), and feed it through sed to psql:

bash$
Code: Select all
cat sql-commands | sed 's/\\'\''/'\'\''/g' | psql -h localhost -U ojs-test ojs-test

(Maybe this should be in the support forum?)
rmichael

Re: Generated "manual install" SQL is incorrect for PG.

Postby asmecher » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:07 am

Hi Richard,

Thanks -- if you could file a patch and a Bugzilla entry, that would be great. It's just a warning for now, but it looks as though PostgreSQL will eventually change its behavior, so best for us to follow the spec.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby rmichael » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:58 pm

Hi Alec,

Ok, I've provided a proposed patch. Works for me on PG 8.2.11 (I checked, PG 7.4 uses the same '' style, so it should be fine), but that's not much testing!
I think it's best to punt and use ADODB's string escaping (it knows about PG's '' style already).

So in the end, it's just a one liner.

(BTW, I set the OJS version to 2.2.3 in the bug report as per our other discussion. Is that correct?)
http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=3881
rmichael

Postby asmecher » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:02 pm

Hi Richard,

Looks great, thanks -- I might actually remove or deprecate the quoteString function entirely, since once you shift the work over to PostgreSQL's qstr function, it's just wasted space on the call stack. If I do that, I'll post an updated patch on the bugzilla entry you've linked.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby rmichael » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:13 pm

Ok, makes sense. BTW, it's not Postgres' qstr. qstr() is an ADODB function, the internals of which are a bit messy (and it can also do magic_quote escaping).

Cheers.
rmichael

Postby asmecher » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:56 pm

Hi Richard,

Sorry, my typo; that's what I meant.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby rmichael » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:10 pm

The first patch I sent was borked with spaces instead of tabs (silly cut and paste mistake). It won't apply, and will confuse new users since it will appear exactly the same, unless you "cat -A". (It stumped me for a good five minutes. Argh.)

If you're reading this thread, be sure to use the newer patch from the bug report.
rmichael

Return to OJS Development