OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

compile latex/tex into pdf

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

compile latex/tex into pdf

Postby lightshadow306 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:00 am

Dear All
Some online journals can compile latex/tex into pdf ( or everything to pdf) at the submission step, Is this function possible on OJS ?
Thank you very much !!
lightshadow306

Re: compile latex/tex into pdf

Postby mj » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:50 am

Hi lightshadow306,

OJS currently handles all files in the native format from which they're supplied; there is no conversion done. However, our Lemon8-XML software does approach this issue by converting articles from most layout formats (unfortunately not LaTeX due to poor support by word processors) to OpenDocument ODT, and from there into a particular XML schema as appropriate. We are planning some major development centred around converting XML into PDF for article publication and display, but that is a much larger effort.

Your best bet might to be to simply use one of the numerous TeX-to-PDF converters (most of which are free or open source) available from the web to convert submissions once they're uploaded into PDF for the review or layout stage, depending on your needs. This is a bit more editorial work, but the simplest alternative at present.

Regards,
MJ
mj
Site Admin

Postby rmichael » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:31 pm

I'm interested in this too. However, the compilation of the LaTeX will (very likely) not be as straightforward as the OP hopes. Often, authors include packages which only exist in their own LaTeX repository, or use a particular version of package, or any number of other possbilities which will break the compilation with your LaTeX distribution. I would expect to spend quite a bit of time handling each submission if you go this route. Which, of course, might be fine in your case.

Despite the fact that we ultimately require LaTeX, our journal's approach was to request submissions in PDF format. This allows us to start the the review process immediately, and also puts the onus on the author(s) to generate a PDF. We felt since this was acceptable because, otherwise, we'd be spending quite a bit of time debugging problematic LaTeX for submissions which might ultimately be declined. If a submission is approved for publication, we ask for the LaTeX source, and typeset using our custom LaTeX class file.
rmichael

Postby lightshadow306 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:08 pm

Dear Sir
Perhaps, We can integrate the latex2pdf driver into OJS
(Please see http://search.cpan.org/~andrewf/LaTeX-D ... /latex2pdf
for deatils ). I think will be helpful for the community If someone can recode it as a plugin.

Best Regrads
lightshadow306

Postby biomat » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:04 am

A while back I tried Lemon8 Beta for about a week and it almost keeled me. I switched to LaTeX and it was so effective that I even converted 4 (out of 5) of the recent submissions into latex by myself (for the authors who used MS Word), while only one author submitted his paper in LaTeX. I have tried the demo Lemon8 today again and I gave up after 15 min. I strongly recommend LaTeX to everyone with any programming experience.
biomat

Return to OJS Development