OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

LDAP Authentication

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

LDAP Authentication

Postby mark » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:48 am

I have been reading the source code on Authentication (LDAPAuthPlugin.inc.php , AuthSource.inc.php, AuthSourceDAO.inc.php) and the OJS Technical Reference (2.1), however I am still in terra incognita with respects to what the source code is doing and why it is necessary. Searching the web for LDAP & Authentication brings up scattered fragments from the realms of java, microsoft, wordpress, etc. and from all of this it is still difficult to piece together LDAP in OJS. Any help?

Thanks,

Mark
mark

Re: LDAP Authentication

Postby mcrider » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:25 pm

Hi Mark,

What exactly are you trying to do with LDAP? You shouldn't need to modify any source code to get LDAP working. There is more information on LDAP implementation in 'OJS in an Hour' and in this forum. Are you having trouble setting up an LDAP authentication server?

Cheers,
Matt
mcrider

Postby mark » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:49 pm

Matt,

I'm not modifying the LDAP code but am studying it and I guess I'm at the point where I'm looking at user authentication.
OJS in an Hour is a page or two and what I can glean from it is that it's an alternative to OJS user database. Is there a rationale that has more depth? What advantages does LDAP have? Why not make it the default form of authentication? etc.

Thanks

Mark
mark

Postby mcrider » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:22 pm

Hi again Mark,

LDAP is traditionally used to synchronize user accounts across multiple applications. So, it can be used to ensure that user accounts are consistent (and one account can log in on different applications) on your OJS and OCS installation, or even on a Drupal, WordPress, or other application. The complexity of setting up LDAP is what prevents us from making it the default authentication service (and that most people don't use it). Also, it is looking more and more that we are going towards the use of Shibboleth (http://drupal.org/project/shib_auth, located in the plugins/implictAuth/shibboleth folder) for user authentication, which is more powerful than LDAP for several reasons, esp. single sign-on (e.g. signing in to one application automatically signs you in to all others).

Hope that clears things up a bit,
Matt
mcrider

Return to OJS Development