You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

pre-publication of articles - feature request

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
The Public Knowledge Project Support Forum is moving to http://forum.pkp.sfu.ca

This forum will be maintained permanently as an archived historical resource, but all new questions should be added to the new forum. Questions will no longer be monitored on this old forum after March 30, 2015.

pre-publication of articles - feature request

Postby gabriela » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:41 am

We recently had an interesting feature request from one of the journal managers; I thought I should share it with the community:

“One of the features we've been wondering about is the possibility of pre-publication of articles, before an issue comes out. We're starting to get a string of articles in the production pipeline, and it would be nice to have them available to our subscribers before publication of the official issue. I notice that several online journals have a "pre-publication" section for articles that are ready but not slated for publication for several more months.

The way I would envision such a thing working is that I would upload the article info and PDF as I already do. At the same time as uploading the author, abstract, etc info, I would also upload a "pre-publication" version of the PDF file (e.g. page numbers might not be correct and/or a "pre-pub" watermark might be on the pages). After plugging it into the publishing queue for a specific issue, I would also have an option to flag the article for pre-publication. It would then appear in a pre-publication section of the journal page (similar to the "current" and "archive" sections, but just a straightforward list of all the pre-pub articles), with the option to view the pre-publication PDF file. Once I'm ready to publish the issue, I would upload the final PDF file(s), hit the "publish issue" button, and (simultaneously) the issue would be published and the associated pre-pub articles would disappear from the pre-publication page.”

Re: pre-publication of articles - feature request

Postby jmacgreg » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:38 pm

HI Gabriela,

Thanks for your detailed request! Pre-prints/pre-publication has been raised before -- see viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3401 for some discussion on how to publish preprints with OJS as it currently stands, which you may want to pass along to your journal manager. However, if you see a strong inclination towards a more formal handling of preprints, I would ask you to submit this feature request to our bug tracker at http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/. And of course, if you have time to look into developing this as a plugin, we'd be very happy to provide assistance.

Return to OJS Development