OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Format of Dates in OJS

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

Format of Dates in OJS

Postby janer » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:23 am

Hi Everybody,

If this is a topic that has been raised befor, please accept my apologies.

In developing our Journal on the OJS, we see that we have to use the format for dates that North America uses ie the month comes before the day. Given that Europe and some other continents always use the dd/mm/yy order, and you have expanded the system to cater for numerous languages, why isn't there the option for a choice in something as simple as this? Using the North American notation can be really confusing to us on this side of the pond, and I'm thinking particularly when Reviewers are sent an email telling them the due date, and a glance at the unfamiliar notation can be easily misconstrued - and it makes a difference if you think something is needed by the 6th of July, and it's actually wanted by the 7th of June!

Please can this be accommodated in the next version?

Thanks very much

Janer
janer

Re: Format of Dates in OJS

Postby smiri » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:16 pm

Hi janer,

Please have a look at this post: http://pkp.sfu.ca/support/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3314

It seems to be talking about a similar issue.

Regards,
smiri

Postby janer » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:11 am

Hi Siavash - I have read through those exchanges you signposted, and they are about translating the words of dates into Italian! My point is completely dfferent. I am requesting that in the next version of OJS, or the current one if possible, there is the option to display dates numerically as we would do in Europe and not the American way which can be confusing for us.

The example I used was 07-06-2008 which to anybody on this side of the pond means the 7th of June, but to you means the 6th of July!

Has this issue not been considered before please?

Thanks and good wishes

Jane
janer

Postby smiri » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:15 am

Hi jane,

The reason I mentioned that post, was that I believe these are all PHP related settings. just like you can change the language as a PHP setting, I think it's possible to change the date format as a PHP setting.

However, now that I think about it, it might not be a PHP setting after all. I believe we do set the date format smarty templates in some cases.

I'll ask someone else to respond to this post shortly.

Regards,
smiri

Postby smiri » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:33 pm

Hi Jane,

Please have a look at this post: http://pkp.sfu.ca/support/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2068

You can format dates by changing the date_format_... settings in your config.inc.php configuration file. For the dates in emails that are sent out, you won't have to do anything in OJS 2.2 and newer, but if you're using an older version of OJS, you would have to apply the patch mentioned in the above post.

Regards,
smiri

Postby janer » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:56 am

Thanks very much indeed!

Janer
janer

Return to OJS Development