OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

OJS : Without Edit, Review and Online Paper Submissions,

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

OJS : Without Edit, Review and Online Paper Submissions,

Postby ams.jour » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:03 am

A suggestion for OJS : Without Edit, Review and Online Paper Submissions,

For a print journal, where all the process completed through mannual procedure for there print version. Now they want to start online which identical to print version.

The process of submissions of paper as hard copy, reviewing process and editing will be allready done for print version.
Now for online version one needs OJS for uploading the final issue and distribution through subscription.

If OJS either reduced the undesired part or make separate version for non-reviewing OJS version it may be more useful.

Also this will also provide
1. a protection (through online submissions) from hacker's and disk space.

2. Due this this modification the disk occupying size of OJS reduced so a user may also install at low capacity web disk or for multi-journal publication separate saperate OJS with new template for each journal.

Thanks.

-Jo Ams
ams.jour

Re: OJS : Without Edit, Review and Online Paper Submissions,

Postby rke4me » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:54 pm

Recently one journal website was attcked by a hacker through OJS online submission of a paper. In view of this , suggestion is useful because majority of OJS users do not have security system like Yahoo.com/ GMAIL.com/MSN.COM.
rke4me

Postby asmecher » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:46 am

Hi rke4me,

We've been very careful with respect to security, though of course bugs will happen -- could you describe how the submission process was used to hack the server?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby rke4me » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:26 am

submitting the virus file. finaly server is shutdown due to this severe attack.
rke4me

Postby asmecher » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:19 am

Hi rke4me,

If a user uploads an infected file as a submission, it's never executed by OJS, so should not cause problems on the server. The only way it could be executed (as far as I'm aware), thus compromising the server, is if the files_dir storage directory (as configured in config.inc.php) is available directly via the web server, contrary to the "Recommended Configuration" notes in docs/README. Is this what happened? Can you provide any more detail on the compromise?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby rke4me » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:39 am

May be possible to insert a virus thogh graphics file.

I am not knowing too much about server mgt. However some colleagues are trying to revive the things.

Certainly I would like to share all the information to you, when I get.

Thanks .

-rke4me
rke4me

Postby asmecher » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:53 am

Hi rke4me,

We do have checks in place for this as well -- but please do send us as much detail as you can, as it becomes available.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Return to OJS Development