OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

2.2.1 and release notes formatting

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

2.2.1 and release notes formatting

Postby rmichael » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:25 am

Hello,

I'm starting to look more closely at migrating our site to 2.2. Browsing via cvsWeb, I read the 2.2.1 noticed 2.2.1 was "released" on 13 June, but the tarball isn't on the main site, and the release notes are incomplete (new features and bug fixes are not filled in). I presume the release hasn't been made final yet?

Also, in reading the release notes, comments are too long and truncated on the right end of the line with an ellipsis. For example, from the 2.2.0 release notes:

"- #2304# Authors should not be able to add Supplementary File afte..."

Without a full description, I had to go to the bugzilla for this "new feature" (given the visible text, it seemed quite important). Would you please consider lengthening the line?
rmichael

Re: 2.2.1 and release notes formatting

Postby asmecher » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:40 am

Hi Richard,

That's correct -- 2.2.1 has not been released, but we're currently in the testing phase and expect to be beginning translation updates very shortly.

I think the best solution to the ellipsis problem would be for us to use more concise and accurate bug entry titles. We try to keep the Release Notes brief, and having descriptions that spill onto a second line makes it hard to read. I'll give the bug titles a review before we publish the next round of notes. Regardless, Bugzilla is the best place to get the full picture; we generate the release notes listings from there.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Re: 2.2.1 and release notes formatting

Postby rmichael » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:00 pm

Thanks for your reply Alec. I'll cvs update and take a look, but won't actually migrate our production system until you've release 2.2.1, of course.

On one hand, I agree hard to read release/change logs are a problem, however with proper indentation a two line description should be quite readable. Because, on the other hand, overly succinct descriptions can be cryptic. I personally prefer more information (to a point, because, yes, I would go to bugzilla for a full description, comments, etc., as I have been doing). It's subtle, but being able to look at a project's release/change log and understand what's been happening without having to open a web browser, be online, etc. means I can move through the installation in a more focused way.

Anyway, personal preference I suppose.

Cheers.
rmichael

Return to OJS Development