OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

OJS Version and statistical formulae

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

OJS Version and statistical formulae

Postby janer » Fri May 16, 2008 7:37 am

Hello,

I am just starting the development, with others, of a new journal. We have downloaded OJS version 2.2.0 and are starting to populate it. The Journal will require the presentation of complex statistical formulae in some of the peer-reviewed papers, and I have no experience of the Latex and special Word files that allow this. Can anybody advise me on 2 points please:

1. Should we proceed with version 2.2.0, or wait for 2.2.1, which I see is under test soon. We hope to publish our first issue in about 6 months.
2. How are the files for publishing formulae integrated with OJS and will the new version of OJS offer any advantages over 2.2.0 for that type of material?

Thanks very much
Janer
janer

Re: OJS Version and statistical formulae

Postby mj » Wed May 21, 2008 8:01 am

Hi Janer,

Here's my best attempt at answering your questions:

1. If you're already working with data in OJS 2.2.0, I'd say continue and upgrade to 2.2.1 when it comes out. Usually this is a straightforward process, and almost certainly easier than waiting and duplicating your effort into a fresh OJS install. We're hoping to have 2.2.1 released within a few weeks.

2. The next release is a maintenance release, and mostly incorporates bugfixes and smaller feature enhancements (although quite a number of them). At the moment, OJS handles article files as they are uploaded -- ie. it merely displays them directly to the user in the same way they are provided by the editor. Most journals publish their article galleys in HTML and/or PDF formats for obvious reasons, so any features related to statistical formulae, LaTeX, or MS-Word will have to be handled before the final article galley is uploaded to OJS.

A footnote on the second point: we are working on another application, Lemon8-XML, to handle more complex article file formats and requirements, but at this time it's still under heavy development, and focuses on XML rather than LaTeX. We may move in that direction in the future, but it's still a ways off.

Hope this helps,
MJ
mj
Site Admin

Return to OJS Development