OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Plugin Developement: Editorial/Review Board review

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

Plugin Developement: Editorial/Review Board review

Postby ramon » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:25 am

Hello PKP Team,

I'm sure I've mentioned this in previous posts and e-mail messages, but here's a new take on this.
My previous explanation of how this Editorial/Review Board plugin would work required too much code mods to be implemented as a plugin, because it would be a modification in the Editorial Process already defined, so here's another idea.
I hope it is more feasible as a plugin.

The plugin will need to do the following:
  1. Add additional roles to the system, being Editorial/Review Board members
  2. Allow Journal Manager to enroll users in these new roles
  3. Create additional pages listing the board members in About the Journal, with separate links and pages, instead of being displayed with all the about information, allowing ordering by any means (this could be accomplished by the custom roles listing already available, but if can be integrated, it would be nicer!)
  4. Add a link in the review process to "ADD Submission" to the review board list (usually after it's been approved!), which would be accessed by another link "VIEW Board list"
  5. Add a standard e-mail to all the Board Members notifying them that the list of approved journals is available for review and voting of articles for publishing, allowing the Journal Editor to send all the approved items at once to all the members. Currently, the Journal Manger would have to include each member as a reviewer in the process of each article, which is a cumbersome solution for this case.
  6. Display the list of submissions so that the Board can vote, maybe by ordering items like the Submission Checklist. The plugin will reorder the articles for the Editor automatically, separating with CSS styling of rows which articles should be published and which shouldn't, based on a number of articles defined in the plugin config. The Editor would have the final decision to send articles to copyediting or not. The list will allow comments from board members and the editor, as well as access to the other information and decision making somehow.
  7. Add another listing type in Submissions (Unassigned, in Review, in Board Review, in Editing)

These are the most important features I can think of now. This an important feature for OJS, as it would speed up things and really automate the process for the Jrounal Manager and especially the Editor.
if OJS could have groups, this could also work. I just thought of this as I write, meaning that if Groups are supported, then the Editor could create groups, and users and if needed, send articles at once for them to review, although the review process is not really changed.
Could a Plugin create and manage groups for the Editor to process reviews more dynamically?

I hope the text is clear, concise and detailed enough for you to discuss....

Thanks...
ramon

Return to OJS Development