OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Integrating ipaper from Scribd

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

Integrating ipaper from Scribd

Postby p_alexander » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:38 pm

I was looking at integrating ipaper for viewing PDFs on our journal site. If successful, I would love to create a plugin and share the functionality. I'm looking for some helpful hints in the right direction. I'm just getting back into PHP after a sabbatical so bear with me if I have some errors and downright stupidity. I'm not an OJS expert, although I have run the system since version 1.

The main issue I am having is figuring out how to link to the PDF files. I can see how the system serves them up as a download or a viewable file, but it looks like it never gives away the actual file URL, any interaction with the file is handled by the system. I'm assuming this is because some sites run on a subscription basis and wouldn't like those links just hanging out there. In fact, if I am understanding correctly, the files can be stored in a directory no accessible through the web server (although still accessible to the OJS system).

Now, Scribd's ipaper platform is obviously going to need access to the file in order to pull it into their system. I suppose the first requirement, then, is that you've got the files available in a "public" folder on the webserver and aren't restricting access to that folder (this would be the files/journals/$ folder). Assuming that is true, is there a variable/function that will return a URL for a PDF file rather than running it through the view/download routines?

That's enough for now and I hope it all makes sense. Thanks for the help and, again, sorry if I'm not understanding as much as I should. I'd be happy to clarify and/or add information as necessary.
p_alexander

Re: Integrating ipaper from Scribd

Postby jalperin » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:52 am

p_alexander,

Have you made any progress on this? Sorry nobody got a change to reply to you. Let us know what progress you've made and if you are still in need of some guidance.
jalperin

Re: Integrating ipaper from Scribd

Postby p_alexander » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:36 am

Unfortunately, I got busy and haven't had a chance to look back into it. If I can get a tiny bit of guidance, I will dive back in...
p_alexander

Return to OJS Development