OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Automatic Registration - But Not to a Specific Journal

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

Automatic Registration - But Not to a Specific Journal

Postby dgalewsky » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:07 pm

I am working on integrating 'implicit' authentication using Shibboleth - into OJS.

One of the things I need to be able to do is to create/register a new user (using information from Shibboleth).

I have found the code that creates new users - in 'classes/user/form/RegistrationForm.inc.php'.

It all looks pretty straitforward as far as creating a new record in the users database - using the UserDao's insertUser method.

The question I have is regarding the necessity of specifying the journal that the new user is registering for.

I have a couple of questions:

* Will it cause problems if I don't create a Role for the new user? It appears that the 'Role' record is where the Journal key is kept.
* Can the user go back in later and set up a role (and specify the Journal at that point)?

Any other thoughts on automatically creating users?

Thanks for any input
-- Dan Galewsky
Texas Digital Library
University of Texas, Austin
dgalewsky

Re: Automatic Registration - But Not to a Specific Journal

Postby asmecher » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:23 pm

Hi Dan,

The role table is indeed the way users are associated with particular journals. Users can create roles for themselves later, depending on the journal's configuration (i.e. whether Author self-registration is allowed), but this process has caused confusion with readers before and should be avoided unless necessary. If you know from your remote authentication source which journal a user is associated with, it wouldn't hurt to insert a Reader role at the time you create the user account.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Development