You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Automatic Registration - But Not to a Specific Journal

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
The Public Knowledge Project Support Forum is moving to http://forum.pkp.sfu.ca

This forum will be maintained permanently as an archived historical resource, but all new questions should be added to the new forum. Questions will no longer be monitored on this old forum after March 30, 2015.

Automatic Registration - But Not to a Specific Journal

Postby dgalewsky » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:07 pm

I am working on integrating 'implicit' authentication using Shibboleth - into OJS.

One of the things I need to be able to do is to create/register a new user (using information from Shibboleth).

I have found the code that creates new users - in 'classes/user/form/RegistrationForm.inc.php'.

It all looks pretty straitforward as far as creating a new record in the users database - using the UserDao's insertUser method.

The question I have is regarding the necessity of specifying the journal that the new user is registering for.

I have a couple of questions:

* Will it cause problems if I don't create a Role for the new user? It appears that the 'Role' record is where the Journal key is kept.
* Can the user go back in later and set up a role (and specify the Journal at that point)?

Any other thoughts on automatically creating users?

Thanks for any input
-- Dan Galewsky
Texas Digital Library
University of Texas, Austin

Re: Automatic Registration - But Not to a Specific Journal

Postby asmecher » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:23 pm

Hi Dan,

The role table is indeed the way users are associated with particular journals. Users can create roles for themselves later, depending on the journal's configuration (i.e. whether Author self-registration is allowed), but this process has caused confusion with readers before and should be avoided unless necessary. If you know from your remote authentication source which journal a user is associated with, it wouldn't hurt to insert a Reader role at the time you create the user account.

Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Return to OJS Development