OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Password encryption format changed from 2.1.1 to 2.2cvs?

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

Password encryption format changed from 2.1.1 to 2.2cvs?

Postby rmichael » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:53 am

For testing, I migrated our journal from our production 2.1.1 installation to the 2.2.0cvs release (I think I most recently updated last week..).

I believe the default encryption format for passwords has changed from 'md5' to 'sha1', in config.inc.php.

I didn't see this in the release notes anywhere, so heads up to those attempting such a migration. (It took me a bit of time and "error_log" debugging to figure out what was happening.) Sorry if I missed this somewhere.

Actually, it would nice if Validation::encryptCredentials would try whichever setting is specified, and then just check the other in case of a bad match -- there are only two choices, so it could catch this problem easily and warn in my php log. Alternatively, if you don't want to check md5 when sha1 is specified *and* vice-versa (with more encryption options, this could get unwieldy!), at least try the config.inc.php specified value, and (IF there's a failure AND the value is not the code specified default (md5) ) THEN (check md5). Does that make sense? :-)

Also, it looks like there is duplication (albeit in a different order) between Validation::login and Validation::checkCredentials. login() calls encryptCredentials() directly after some special casing for old email addresses (OJS1?).. but reading checkCredentials, it seems to have most of that functionality (not the special casing, however). It feels to me like login() should be calling checkCredentials() rather than duplicating the work of checkCredentials() itself. Am I off base here?

Thanks for the great work!
rmichael

Re: Password encryption format changed from 2.1.1 to 2.2cvs?

Postby asmecher » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:16 pm

Hi Richard,

The default hashing algorithm remains MD5, although it's possible that the default changed for a short while in CVS. In any case, I don't think auto-detecting the hashing algorithm by trying both is a good idea -- it cuts down the effectiveness of hashing for limited benefit (something like using the wrong algorithm will only come up as a result of a mistake in the configuration file, which is a rare situation).

The extra logic in the Validation class is there to help support external authentication, i.e. via the LDAP authentication plugin. Usually it's not used.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Development