OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

frames or divs

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

frames or divs

Postby joZhao » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:57 am

I noticed that the templates/article/view.tpl code is written with frames, and doesn't use div. Is there a particular reason for this?
Thanks
joZhao

Re: frames or divs

Postby asmecher » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:56 am

Hi joZhao,

Yes, this is done because article galleys may be delivered using plugins (such as the Acrobat Reader plugin for PDFs) and using frames is the only method that will allow the Reading Tools to be properly displayed alongside.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby ramon » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:45 pm

Alec,

Have you tested with IFRAMES?
They can be a bit harder to work with, specially setting width and height (needing javascript) if the inner page of the IFRAME is dynamic, but will make the code a bit cleaner, allowing for easier integration and improving maintenance (my opinion though).
Not sure if PDF's plugin open in an IFRAME though...
ramon

Postby cabotine » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:20 am

Hi,
has anyone tried to build a <div> solution?
If I dont use pdfs, then there is no need to use the frames, is there?

I need to create a apge that is easily to use with screenreaders, so may be a div version would be better.
Thank you
Frank J.
cabotine

Postby ramon » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:04 pm

Hello Frank,

Personally, if you are not going to use PDF's you could probably change the template to use a div solution instead of a frame.
You'll need to change the appropriate article templates to accomplish this, which shouldn't be too difficult.
ramon

Postby karindar » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:43 am

Hi - I'm trying to find a way to display an article, with the reading tools alongside, using divs instead of frames. This thread seems to suggest it is possible; does anyone have a working example or code I could look at?

Many thanks!
Karin
karindar

Postby mcrider » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:29 pm

Hi Karin,

There's a bit more discussion of this over at http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=2757. Basically, we'd like to implement this in the upcoming restructuring of the reading tools (which may be some time from now). The reasoning behind using frames in the first place is because we need to be able to view PDFs inline, which is not possible without frames or iframes. If you've done any Smarty development, I don't think it would be too difficult to implement this--take a look in the templates/rt/ directory for the templates that control this.

Cheers,
Matt
mcrider

Postby cabotine » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:33 am

Hi,
its me again. After some time I found finally the time to convert our old data to OJS.
So I am looking for a solution without frames again.

Can somebody give me some hints where to start in the article.tpl and view.tpl?
I am kind of firm with html,css and php but I dont know the smarty stuff...

Is there someone who knows this better who got some minutes to spare?
Thanks alot and best regards
Frank J.
cabotine

Postby cabotine » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:16 am

could please someone give me a hint on this on?
I would love to have an HTML-only version without frames
Can anyone please help me?
Thank you
C.
cabotine

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:16 am

Hi Frank,

Some interesting threads on this topic:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3044&start=0
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4003

The best thing to do is probably to start pulling stuff apart and putting it together the way you want. If you have any questions, just let us know!

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Return to OJS Development