OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Useful tool

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

Useful tool

Postby christo » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:03 am

There can be quite a lot of typing involved in setting up the scaffolding for OJS; so we have created a tool which tries to generate most of that code for you:
You can check it out at: http://www.ajol.co.uk/tools/crudBuilder/
(this url is not likely to be permanent...)

As it is, it (tries to) generate the code necessarily to perform (CRUD - Create Read Update Delete - Read and Delete have not been implemented yet) operations on a specific table in your database.

It is still very much in the early stages, but seems to work ok. I have been using it and it worked pretty well, although i had to do a little manual debugging).

Ultimately i would like it to create the default pages in working order (and also create the actual table in the database) and save them in the correct structure for either plugin code or inline/core code. But that is on the todo list...
christo

Re: Useful tool

Postby mj » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:02 am

Christo,

Fantastic work! This will definitely help OJS and OCS developers get started on contributing code, especially with plugins, as the scaffolding is much of the work in that case - speaking of which, a feature to create plugin scaffolding would be invaluable as it's often a big stumbling block for aspiring plugin developers.

Would you be willing at some point to share the source, or even allow PKP to host a copy of the scaffolding service, in an attempt to help ensure its permanency?

Wonderful work once again!
mj
Site Admin

Postby christo » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:09 pm

mj wrote:Fantastic work!

mj wrote:This will definitely help OJS and OCS developers get started on contributing code, especially with plugins, as the scaffolding is much of the work in that case - speaking of which, a feature to create plugin scaffolding would be invaluable as it's often a big stumbling block for aspiring plugin developers.

As i mentioned, this is still only really a prototype of what could be done. Ultimately the user should be able to choose a code-layout style (either core or plugin), and the script should create the code and save it to a .gz which they can then simply extract into a plugin folder (or into the core), and have a working starting point (as if they were using Visual Studio or something ;) ). Ideally it should also even create the sql + schema to create the table in the database. There is a link to a readme.txt in the bottom right of the page where i have jotted down a few points as i was going along.

mj wrote:Finally, would you be willing at some point to share the source, or even allow PKP to host a copy of the scaffolding service, in an attempt to ensure its permanency?

Of course. That's why I said it was probably not a permanent url; as I was hoping that PKP would want to host it, since that would be the logical place to store it. I need to make a few tweaks to the source before I make it public; but i will make it available for download off the url above soon (hope the code isn't too messy!). Making the code public makes sense; because I am sure you guys have a much better idea of how it all fits together than I do!
christo

Postby ramon » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:41 pm

Christo,

Can't wait to see this ready! I have lot's of plugins to build, but lack the necessary skills to start the job.
This will definately help me learn and get going...
ramon

Postby christo » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:55 am

..just added syntax highlighting :D
christo

Postby errebe » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:20 pm

Christo, trying to check yor tool at
http://www.ajol.co.uk/tools/crudBuilder/
but an username and password is needed...

any help...?

thanks...!!!
errebe

Postby mbria » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:09 am

Sounds really nice. :-)

Subscribing to keep up to date about this development.

Thanks to share,

m.
mbria

Postby christo » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:53 am

Hi everyone. Sorry about the password. We are using the ajol.co.uk domain for testing our upgrade to OJS2.
You can now access the tool using these details:
username: ojsdev
password: ojsdev

Hope you find it useful.
christo

Return to OJS Development