OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Using Google Scholar for author's related articles searching

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

Using Google Scholar for author's related articles searching

Postby ata_gp » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:22 am

I've added a link to Google Scholar as a new item at Reading Tools.

My purspose was to obtain more related articles from the author.

So, I did some modifications into rt.tpl template (located at templates/rt/rt.tpl).

After de main block, where you can find the default reading tools, i added the following div block:

<div class="rtBlock">
<span class="rtSubtitle">Google Scholar</span>
<ul>
{foreach from=$article->getAuthors() item=author name=authors}
<li><a href="http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q= &quot;author:{$author->getFullName()|escape}&quot;" target="_blank">{$author->getFullName()|escape}<a/></li>
{/foreach}
</ul>
</div>

The result looks like that:

ata_gp

Re: Using Google Scholar for author's related articles searching

Postby ramon » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:36 pm

Hello all,

Is it possible to display automagically google search results (say from keywords on the article) already in a block (much like the one proposed here), instead of making the reader click on a link to search?

I posted this question at google code forum, for the custom search app as well.
ramon

Re: Using Google Scholar for author's related articles searching

Postby asmecher » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:07 am

Hi Ramón,

Google has gone out of their way to make page scraping difficult, and while it's possible to work around those approaches, I don't know how long it would last. I think it would be great for a journal or two to experiment with this and potentially approach the folks at Scholar with a proof of concept that doesn't threaten or damage Google's trove of data (i.e. by providing attribution and demonstrating a usability improvement for users).

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Development