OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Splash Screen for each Journal

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

Postby asmecher » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:01 pm

Hi Alf,

Looks good so far. The next step will depend on how you want the splash screen to behave. When do you want this page to be displayed, and where should the "click here..." link go?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Splash Screen for each Journal

Postby nelson » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:01 pm

Hallo,
I'm working on a patch to have a Splash Screen for each Journal. After Alec suggestions, I wrote this:

1) Added at lines 433-451 ojs/templates/manager/setup/step5.tpl - this code portion:
Code: Select all

<div class="separator"></div>

<h3>5.9 {translate key="manager.setup.journalSplashScreen"}</h3>

<p>{translate key="manager.setup.journalSplashScreenDescription"}</p>

<table width="100%" class="data">
<tr>
   <td width="20%" class="label">{translate key="manager.setup.useJournalSplashScreen"}</td>
   <td width="80%" class="value"><input type="file" name="journalSplashScreen" class="uploadField" /> <input type="submit" name="uploadJournalSplashScreen" value="{translate key="common.upload"}" class="button" /></td>
</tr>
</table>

{if $journalSplashScreen}
{translate key="common.fileName"}: <a href="{$publicFilesDir}/{$journalSplashScreen.uploadName}" class="file">{$journalSplashScreen.name}</a> {$journalSplashScreen.dateUploaded|date_format:$datetimeFormatShort} <input type="submit" name="deleteJournalSplashScreen" value="{translate key="common.delete"}" class="button" />
{/if}

<div class="separator"></div>

2) Added in localizations:
IT-->locale.xml
   <!--Splash screen locale keys-->
   <message key="manager.setup.journalSplashScreen">Splash Screen della rivista</message>
   <message key="manager.setup.journalSplashScreenDescription">&#x00C8; possibile inserire, tramite upload, uno Splash Screen specifico per questa rivista.</message>
   <message key="manager.setup.useJournalSplashScreen">Splash Screen della rivista</message>
   <message key="manager.setup.noSplashScreenUploaded">Non &#x00E8; stato inserito nessuno Splash Screen.</message>

EN--->locale.xml
   <!-- Splash Screen locale keys-->
   <message key="manager.setup.journalSplashScreen">Journal Splash Screen</message>
   <message key="manager.setup.journalSplashScreenDescription">The default Journal Home Page can be overridden by uploading a journal-specific html Splash Screen.</message>
   <message key="manager.setup.useJournalSplashScreen">Journal Splash Screen</message>
   <message key="manager.setup.noSplashScreenUploaded">No Splash Screen uploaded.</message>

3) Added in classes/manager/form/setup/JournalSetupStep5Form.inc.php
the function: uploadSplashScreen()
   /**
    * Uploads journal custom Splash Screen.
    * @param $settingName string setting key associated with the file
    */
   function uploadSplashScreen($settingName) {
      $journal = &Request::getJournal();
      $settingsDao = &DAORegistry::getDAO('JournalSettingsDAO');

import('file.PublicFileManager');
      $fileManager = &new PublicFileManager();
      if ($fileManager->uploadedFileExists($settingName)) {
         $type = $fileManager->getUploadedFileType($settingName);
         if ($type != 'text/plain' && $type != 'text/html') {
            return false;
         }

$uploadName = $settingName . '.html';
         if($fileManager->uploadJournalFile($journal->getJournalId(), $settingName, $uploadName)) {         
            $value = array(
               'name' => $fileManager->getUploadedFileName($settingName),
               'uploadName' => $uploadName,
               'dateUploaded' => date("Y-m-d g:i:s")
            );

return $settingsDao->updateSetting($journal->getJournalId(), $settingName, $value, 'object');
         }
      }

return false;
   }

4) Added in page/manager/SetupHandler.inc.php
after line 342
else if (Request::getUserVar('uploadJournalSplashScreen')) {
   if ($setupForm->uploadSplashScreen('journalSplashScreen')) {
      $editData = true;
      } else {
      $setupForm->addError('journalSplashScreen', 'manager.setup.journalSplashScreenInvalid');
      }
      } else if (Request::getUserVar('deleteJournalSplashScreen')) {
      $editData = true;
      $setupForm->deleteImage('journalSplashScreen');
      }

It works, and uploads in the journal Dir the html page, renaming it journalSplashScreen.html.

But now I don't know how to proceed to override the home page with the uploaded file.

Thanks
Alf
nelson

Postby nelson » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:20 pm

The Splash Screen has to override the page usually displayed at:

http://www.myojs.it/index.php/MYJOURNAL/index

It has to be displayed when you click on the HOME link on the journal navigation bar, or ou click in "View Journal" in OJS container.

Then each link on it should be declared statically.
But to prevent links errors, should appear at the end of the page a text link to the CURRENT JOURNAL.

I still made something for an other portal, you can see it on:

http://www.foriocultura.it

Thats just html and css.

Thanks
Alfredo
nelson

Postby nelson » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:15 am

strange! your reply is before my first message ... ???

didn't I undestood your suggestion? I don't know how to continue now...

bye
Alf
nelson

Postby asmecher » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:42 am

Hi Alf,

There is an implementation of the splash page almost as you describe for custom issue cover pages in pages/issue/IssueHandler.inc.php and templates/issue/view.tpl. What it does is this: If you come to the issue's URL without showToc at the end, and a custom cover page exists, it displays the custom cover page including a link to the same URL with "showToc" at the end.

The differences between this and your implementation are:
  • Your implementation requires the display of an entire HTML page, rather than a couple of custom-generated fields. You can use classes/file/PublicFileManager.inc.php to fetch the contents. (You should have already used this class to upload the HTML in the first place.)
  • You'll probably need to use a PHP string replacement function to replace some tag built into the splash page HTML with the URL to the journal's actual homepage. Use the Request::url function to generate this URL.
Regards,
Alec Smecher
---
asmecher

Postby nelson » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:35 pm

Dear Alec,
I'm looking at OJS files and technical reference. So I think: instead of edit an other handler similar to issue handler, don't you think that may be better to edit a condition for the splash page directly on IndexHandler.inc.php ?
thanks
Alf
nelson

Postby asmecher » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:46 pm

Hi Alf,

That's a question of programming style -- either approach would work, and either would suit the existing OJS codebase just fine.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
---
asmecher

Re: Splash Screen for each Journal

Postby mbria » Tue May 13, 2008 2:48 am

Thanks Alf to share.

The Editor of our magazine wanted to show a really big logo on every page (what is against usability) so I suggested an splash screen (including the logos where the magazine is indexed).

Alf, you patch is exactly what I was looking for so I will update it to 2.2 and give a try.

BTW Alec, don't you think is a good addition to OJS? I know about some magazines that will be really happy with this feature. Alf code looks nice and it function could be disabled by default so don't annoy anybody.

I will upload the updated 2.2 patch here as soon as I finish.

Cheers,

m.
mbria

Postby asmecher » Tue May 13, 2008 9:47 am

Hi mbria & Alf,

Yes, this would make a good addition to OJS -- please do submit an updated patch for 2.2 and I'll look into merging it into CVS for version 2.2.1.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby kurtmathiesen » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:18 am

This is also a wish from one of "our" journals. Unfortunately we're not running 2.2 yet. Is this included in version 2.2? And can anyone provide link to an example?
Regards,
Kurt
Copenhagen Business School
kurtmathiesen

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:29 am

Hi Kurt,

This hasn't been included, but you can find a workaround in our Customizing OJS document: http://pkp.sfu.ca/files/docs/customizingojs/index.html.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Return to OJS Development