OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Any tool available for anonymizing submissions?

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

Any tool available for anonymizing submissions?

Postby gunthermaier » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:20 am

I am looking for a way to automatically make submissions and files uploaded by referees anonymous. By that I mean to remove the author entries in the properties of PDF, DOCX and / or DOC files.
Any suggestions would be welcome.

I have scripts that can remove such entries from the files in the upload directory. But, when I apply this, the files cannot be downloaded through OJS any more.

Best
Gunther Maier
gunthermaier

Re: Any tool available for anonymizing submissions?

Postby asmecher » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:26 am

Hi Gunther,

OJS shouldn't care if you modify the files using a script behind the scenes. I suspect the script you're running is changing file permissions or something similar.

Out of curiosity, what toolset is your script using to remove authorship information?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby gunthermaier » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:10 am

Hi Alec,
many thanks for your response. I have been away for a few days. Therefore, I could not react earlier. Your answer that OJS should not care about modified files is very encouraging. This means that I will return to my original strategy and just try to identify the real problem.
My scripts are written in Perl. I use the standard modules Archive::Zip and PDF::API2. For PDF-files I use PDF::API2 to open the file and overwrite the author property. For DOCX-files I utilize the fact that they are just zipped XML-files. So, I unzip the DOCX-file, locate the right XML-file and replace the author name by blanks. Then, I zip the file again. If you are interested in details, I can send the script. It is fairly short, in part because I apply these changes to every PDF- and DOCX-file in the upload directory. The original version of the file is saved with another extension. This way I can check whether or not a file has been processed already.

Once I have a procedure that is really working, I will post the info here.
Best
Gunther
gunthermaier

Postby asmecher » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:18 am

Hi Gunther,

Thanks -- please do share as much as you can; other users have asked about this occasionally. I'd be happy to help where you get stuck.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby gunthermaier » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:22 am

Hi Alec,
SURE, I will share as much as possible. I really appreciate the work that has been put into OJS.

I have located the osurce of my problem. It is SELinux contexts. My behind the scenes procedure runs as a cron job and the files it produces do not have the right SELinux context. I will need to do some more testing to narrow down the problem and some more reading to understand SELinux sufficiently well.

Best
Gunther
gunthermaier

Return to OJS Development