OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Reviewer interest entry instructions

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

Reviewer interest entry instructions

Postby leahv » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:35 am

Hi there - I've had a few journals ask me whether it would be possible to add instructions to reviewers when entering their review interests. Lots of reviewers enter long strings of texts (sentences!), or they use semicolons to separate which also creates a long string, etc.

I think what people would like to see is exactly what this other user asked about here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7551&start=0

Would you consider incorporating a bit of text instruction for reviewers into a future release?

We've also noticed that a lot of our reviewers in our system have phrases in reviewer sections formed like this:

academic+libraries

instead of
academic libraries

What would that '+' symbol be about? I can't reproduce it and I'm sure we didn't have a whole bunch of users using the '+' to connect words in a phrase. Have you seen this? OK if not, I will assume it's a vestige from the days when reviewer interests were not parsed in the useful way they are now.

Thanks! --Leah
leahv

Re: Reviewer interest entry instructions

Postby asmecher » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:58 am

Hi Leah,

What version of OJS are you using?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby leahv » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:57 pm

2.4.2. Sorry if I have missed this in feature list for a more recent upgrade!
leahv

Postby asmecher » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:03 pm

Hi Leah,

Just wondering about that "+" symbol you're seeing. Is it possible that those entries are from a time when you were running a much older copy of OJS (2.2.x or 2.3.x)?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby leahv » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:35 am

Yes, I've just done some spot checking and they seem to date to 2.3.x or earlier. Since I can't seem to reproduce the problem I'll assume it's resolved unless a journal notifies me otherwise (and I would have an active case to work with/present to you). Thanks Alec.
leahv

Postby arieditor » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:53 am

Hello,

I'm wondering if there's a way to add check boxes for reviewer interests instead of having them enter their own preferred terms? Though it would be necessary to allow the addition of "other" as well. This is to help us use the search feature in the select reviewer process more effectively.

I am also wondering if we can search for reviewers by their languages? I know in your profile there is a place to enter languages, but not a way to search for it later I think. We could of course, add languages to the check boxes above as an option...

Thanks for any insights!
arieditor

Postby JasonNugent » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:07 am

hey everyone,

You're all welcome to test a plugin I've developed that implements a controlled vocabulary and then a select/pick list for reviewer interests instead of letting them be chosen by the user. The plugin sits in a github repository now:

https://github.com/jnugent/reviewerInterests

It's meant to work with OJS 2.4.

Regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Return to OJS Development