OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki



Upgrade problem - Unknown column 'suffix' in 'field list'

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

Upgrade problem - Unknown column 'suffix' in 'field list'

Postby rmchugh » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:41 am

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help with a problem I'm having. I'm attempting to work through an upgrade from OJS 2.3.8 to 2.4.4. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to *just* apply the patch, as I got a load of errors. So instead, I've downloaded the new package, run the upgrade script to upgrade my db and am working through reapplying my local changes.

However... I'm getting an error when I do anything involving Users.
DB Error: Unknown column 'suffix' in 'field list'

What seems to be going on is that the PKPUserDAO (from the PKP common lib) contains a reference to a suffix field in the users table. This field exists in the pre-upgraded db, but seems to have been removed in the course of the upgrade. Curiously enough, I can't find any reference to the field in the dbscripts xml files. So it appears to be a mismatch between the DAO and the db. The question is, where is the error? Have I done something wrong or missed a step in my upgrade procedure? Can I fix the error by upgrading the PKP lib folder? If so, how do I do this?

I note that the current version of the PKPUserDAO includes a suffix field, so presumably the problem is to do with my database. Somehow, the suffix field got lost in the upgrade process...

P.S. the billing_address and inline_help columns seem to be gone as well, as does the column context_id from the notifications table.
rmchugh
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:31 am

Re: Upgrade problem - Unknown column 'suffix' in 'field list

Postby asmecher » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:40 am

Hi rmchugh,

The upgrade script is always necessary, whether or not you apply a patch or start with the new code. Did the upgrade script end successfully?

The suffix column in the user table is described in lib/pkp/xml/schema/common.css; this descriptor is applied against the database during the upgrade process.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher
 
Posts: 8613
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:56 pm

Re: Upgrade problem - Unknown column 'suffix' in 'field list

Postby rmchugh » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:53 am

Hi asmecher,

Thanks for your reply. I think I've been an idiot. I ran the upgrade script, but I think I ran it in my host rather than my VM (I'm running OJS within a Vagrant VM). So the upgrade ran fine, but upgraded the wrong db. I've done it again from the VM itself and it seems to be okay now. Apologies for the stupid question... :oops:
rmchugh
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:31 am

Re: Upgrade problem - Unknown column 'suffix' in 'field list

Postby asmecher » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:35 am

Hi rmchugh,

Happens to all of us, we just don't often admit it. Glad you're back up and running.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher
 
Posts: 8613
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:56 pm


Return to OJS Development

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests