OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

access item from another class within a class

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

access item from another class within a class

Postby jjgitties » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:05 pm

Hello, I am trying to achieve the following.

I have a 2 classes.

PersonClass.inc.php
PersonClassDOA.inc.php

GroupClass.inc.php
GroupClassDOA.inc.php

I have a template file which is getting generated from GroupClassDOA. I want to access an object from PersonClassDOA from that tpl file.

For example, in my handler i have will have

$personDao = new &DAORegistry::getDAO('PersonDAO');

I want to pass
$templateMgr->assign('personDao', $personDao);

to the tpl file

and then within the tpl file access the object like this.

{ $personDao->$person->getName() }

Cant seem to get it to work.
jjgitties

Re: access item from another class within a class

Postby asmecher » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:14 pm

Hi jjgitties,

Part of your question is design, part implementation, and there are many options for each -- but here's what I would do:
  • Don't expose the DAO directly to the template. In MVC terms, DAOs are model; templates are view. It's the controller (the handler class) that needs to link the two and serve as the controller.
  • Check your code for consistency. You've got DAO in some places and DOA in others.
  • In the handler class, where you make your template assignments, is where you should be working with the DAO. For example...
    Code: Select all
    $myDao =& DAORegistry::getDAO('MyDAO');
    $myObject =& $myDao->getById($someIdentifierValue);
    $templateMgr->assign('myObject', $myObject);
    This (pseudocode) will give your template the 'myObject' variable, which was fetched using the DAO; in the template you can access its member functions.
  • You've got some syntax problems -- $personDao->$person->getName() isn't correct.
Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby jjgitties » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:09 am

asmecher wrote:Hi jjgitties,

Part of your question is design, part implementation, and there are many options for each -- but here's what I would do:
  • Don't expose the DAO directly to the template. In MVC terms, DAOs are model; templates are view. It's the controller (the handler class) that needs to link the two and serve as the controller.
  • Check your code for consistency. You've got DAO in some places and DOA in others.
  • In the handler class, where you make your template assignments, is where you should be working with the DAO. For example...
    $myDao =& DAORegistry::getDAO('MyDAO');
    $templateMgr->assign('myObject', $myObject);
    This (pseudocode) will give your template the 'myObject' variable, which was fetched using the DAO; in the template you can access its member functions.
  • You've got some syntax problems -- $personDao->$person->getName() isn't correct.
Regards,
Alec Smecher

Thanks Alex. My issue is, I don't have a object id, I want to pass all the object ids and access them to the template.

for example, in handler, for an array of object ids, in temple, interate through everything and getfunction on each object which is in a different class.
jjgitties

Postby asmecher » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:55 am

Hi jjgitties,

In that case, if there should be a DAO function that gets all objects (returning either an array or an iterator object). For example, if you have a submission ID and want to get all authors, AuthorDAO has getAuthorsBySubmissionId. You can assign the resulting data set to the template (an array in the AuthorDAO example) and then use a Smarty {foreach} loop to go through the results in the template.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby jjgitties » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:37 am

thanks. i will try this.
jjgitties

Return to OJS Development